Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I start and shut down my computer automatically several times per day?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 valerio5

valerio5

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Dear all,

I hope this post finds you doing fantastically!

The reason of this communication is kindly as for your advice on a task I have to do and I don’t know where start looking for information… I know that this is a tremendous abuse of your time, but if you have chance to share your comments with me, they’ll be very much appreciated! Thank you!

What I need to do is turn on a Windows 7 computer every hour for about five minutes and then turn it off again automatically; while the computer is on I have to run a macro. The cycle described before has to be repeated 24 hours, so, the computer is automatically turned on, it automatically runs the macro and when the macro ends, it goes off again 24 times per day. When I say “turn off” I mean, either turn off the computer or send it to a low energy consumption state like hibernation or sleep… Basically I know how to automatically turn off the computer and turn it on once per day using the BIOS setup, but I don’t know how to do this several times in a day automatically and then call the macro every time… I don’t even know if it is doable :S

Thank you in advance for all your comments guys!

Cheers,

A

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Check your computer's manual to see whether it supports "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on alarm" or similarly-named features. These are features of the hardware rather than of Windows, and not all PCs will have them. If your PC supports Wake-on-Alarm then its simply a matter of setting the alarm in the BIOS or UEFI settings (the manual should tell you how to do this.) Wake-on-Lan depends on another PC on your network sending a special "wake up" message to your PC.

Shutting down automatically will be rather simpler. The simplest way would be to create a scheduled task that runs a batch file containing a command like:
shutdown /h /t 0
The above command, if run from a command-line or in a batch file will hibernate (/h) the PC after a zero second countdown (/t 0). Other options for this command include /s (full shutdown) and /l (log off the current user). A batch file is a plain-text (e.g. using Notepad) file whose name ends in .cmd rather than .txt.

Another option I found, but haven't used and can't vouch for, is this tool which seems promising: http://dennisbabkin.com/wosb/

Edited by Andrew, 17 January 2013 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users