Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer starting up a tiny bit slower then usual

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 One antler

One antler

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hello, my computer lately has been starting up a bit slower then usual i don't really know what/if theres anything wrong with it or if im just crazy/paranoid I reformat it once a month to make sure its always got that fresh install performance we all know and love. theres been no BSOD'S/random popups/errors/or any other strange activity so i kind of doubt its malware related but im not ruling anything out. whatever you guys could recommend i do to ensure its not malware or anything else bad i would most appreciate it, Thank you, Antler (PS I just reformated it yesterday)
Edit: i also want to add i use MSE and Malwarebytes anti malware pro as my AV (both run fine) i also ran Malwarebytes anti rootkit successfully and nothing came up

Edited by One antler, 17 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hello and Welcome -

Just to clear things up a bit, when you say reformated, do you mean reinstalled the operating system with reinstall DVDs ??
Has anyone ever asked / instructed you to perform these operations, and for what reasons -

Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

Thank You -
EDITED as question was answered in your edit -

Edited by noknojon, 17 January 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#3 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Hello and Welcome -

Just to clear things up a bit, when you say reformated, do you mean reinstalled the operating system with reinstall DVDs ??
Has anyone ever asked / instructed you to perform these operations, and for what reasons -

Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

Thank You -
EDITED as question was answered in your edit -

Yes i used my retail copy of win7 ULT 64 bit. and are you asking who instructed me to reformat? no one, besides myself and word of mouth that reformating fixes alot of problems.

#4 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Did i do that right?

Edited by One antler, 18 January 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Did i do that right? < < Perfectly thanks :)

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions

Yes i used my retail copy of win7 ULT 64 bit. and are you asking who instructed me to reformat? no one, besides myself and word of mouth that reformating fixes alot of problems

Nobody has said anything about the type of media that you used to reinstall your system, the question was just a basic first one to understand your ideas on reinstalling, and if there had actually been practical reasons for doing this (it seems there were none).

Reinstalling can often create some problems such as= Hosts content = which is empty and not blocking basic ads even
Due to this you need to start with a M/soft FixIt download >> http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9668866
To reset the Hosts file back to the default automatically, click the FixIt link, click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow any steps in the Fix it wizard

Have you fully re-installed all the updates since Windows7 was introduced, as you must check this when you reinstall your system.

Please also note that Malwarebytes anti rootkit is still in testing (BETA) stages, and should only be used where it is needed.
Have you ever taken any courses in computers and mainly in maintaining them ?? If so, you would soon learn that this is not the way to go.

Going over what else you have left us - :thumbup2:
EDITED to repair link -

Edited by noknojon, 17 January 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#6 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

also the type of reinstall i did was a custom one where it deletes the previous install not the upgrade one I'm not sure if that was already determined or not :D

Edited by One antler, 18 January 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#7 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Is this for temps or for other reasons? I've used speccy before, neat little program.

Edited by One antler, 18 January 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#8 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

And yes ive reinstalled all updates since the format, should i still do the fixit thing?

#9 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

And no Ive never taken courses or anything I'm pretty much self taught with some recommendations from the internet.

#10 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I just ran the fixit thing and restarted my computer.

#11 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Hey im not sure if this is just something i don't have a driver installed or what but in my device manager under Other devices it lists an SM bus controller with a yellow triangle with a exclamation point inside it.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Hello -
Sorry I have been away for a few hours, and just noted yuor answer -
Re Speccy : You can click on the link and read many things about a computer from there. Not all 100% accurate, but it gives a good idea.

First - Yes the running of the linked M/soft Fix It was inportant as you had left yourself very open to minor infections etc -

Next Re: SM bus controller
Is this a "sub item" of a particular listing in Device Manager ?? Sorry for asking but my Windows7 Home Premium is missing this item.
It may be a feature in Ultimate or something else -

If it is a Full item, please click the "arrow" beside it and expose all (any) sub Items there, or if it is a sub item, what is the "Main Heading" ??
To open this item please double click on it, and you should see a menu like the one listed below > >
Once the SM bus controller is opened, do you see a menu above that lists Driver / Details / General / etc

Open the tab that says Driver and do 2 things - NOTE : The wording may alter a bit -
1 Click on -> Search for an updated (or better) Driver
2 If this returns no result, click on -> Disable (Disable Driver) and > Reboot your computer - Now go back and recheck Device Manager.

Post back with any results or ideas -

Thank You -

EDIT - Sorry but if there is nothing to look at, we have no idea on what your problems may or may not be -
If you wish I can ask a Moderator to close the topic and you can remove/edit all of the details .............

Edited by noknojon, 18 January 2013 - 03:22 AM.

#13 One antler

One antler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

I sent you a PM, my apology's.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Topic closed at member request.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users