Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Get My Home Page To Stay On Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eperryy710

eperryy710

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

for some reason, i can't get my home page to stay. i keep changing it on internet options, but it keep changing to my internet service providers home page. any ideas. they claim it is a microsoft problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

You have been infected by a hijacker.

That is indicative of what a hijacker, malicious malware, does.

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program before you scan and setting both to fix what they find.

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum, here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions run a log, and post it in following HJT forum,
at this link. Include a brief description of your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and the problem you are experiencing.)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not as yet attempt to fix anything by yourself using Hijack This as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your op system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:50 AM

When you joined up with your ISP, did you install any software or did you just connect with the service by setting it up in Windows?

If you installed software from your ISP, they may have included their own homepage setting, in spite of what they tell you.

It wouldn't hurt to do the hijack log as Enthusiast suggested, and keep in mind that you can ask them in the hijack this forums to help you configure your default home page in Hijackthis! as well as cleaning up problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users