Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

failed update

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'm attempting to clean up a laptop for someone. They bought this thing from a pawn shop and within days of purchasing, keys started falling off the keyboard. ha.

I'm running into a few minor problems. I don't know if any of them are related but I figured I'd mention all of them just in case.
Main issue at the moment is an update that keeps failing. It's "SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4"
I have tried several things. Searching solutions on the internet can be a BIG pain in the butt. I have disabled windows updated and cleared all the files in the software distribution/downloads and /data folders. Tried again. I tried the update readiness thing.(actually, just did that and am attempting the update one more time even though I'm pretty sure it will fail) I've even tried installing the update manually. I don't know if this is something the computer even needs but, it keeps popping up and I generally try to allow what microsoft thinks is best when it comes to "important" updates.
When it first fails it has a code 11194... which, you can't find anything online about. But if you go into the update history and open the failed update, it has a code 80070002. I don't know if that helps. I am not 100% certain, but I think the last time I tried the manual installation it said something about some WMI program. I forget.
I've tried Mr fixit and that failed to even run as well. I HATE leaving things unresolved... not to mention, anytime windows update is just sitting there waiting, it can affect computer performance. So, if I don't get this update in, I may have to have it be hidden.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

As for other issues...
Toshiba Service Station seems to fail now and then and it can't find any solution itself. I've updated it but I'm not 100% sure yet if that's helped. It lists Bonjour as failing quite often as well.
Another random issue... when you right click on my computer to open up "properties"... For the processor and memory it says something along the lines of "not available". I find that peculiar.

Up til now, I've done some serious cleaning of adware. No big time viruses that I found, just a lot of junk apps. Had a VERY outdated version of norton 360 on it. Removed that and installed Avast. Had malwarebytes on it from 2010... updated that as well.
It's running SO much better than when I started but I'd like to work out these other little issues if I can.

(yep, last attempt failed as well)
Just tried the manual install one more time so I could give the whole error for that...
"The SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine __________ Error:2147749904 (0x80041010)"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Since You say Toshiba, See if You can find the Recovery Disk Creator application and make a recovery disk set or 2 sets is better.

Uninstall Bonjour if it isn't needed. If no apple products will be hooked up then it shouldn't need to be there.

I wish I could help with the other problems.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thanks. I asked about Itunes and such because it was trying to update, and failed, and they said all that stuff was just on there. So, I uninstalled 3 apple programs plus bonjour.
If this thing had original recovery dvds, I'd start this thing fresh in a heart beat at this point.
I have a feeling this update that is failing isn't even needed and just trying to update because of the other updates already on it. Hard to say.
I enjoy cleaning things up but it gets a little old when it takes tooooo long with multiple things not being so cooperative.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

The newer Toshiba's don't come with recovery DVDs, You need to use the Recovery Disk Creator application and make a recovery disk set. I would also look and see what the license on the bottom shows was the original OS as someone may have updated it from Vista to Win7 for example. In that case the disk creator won't help.

You might try running Secunia PSI

Secunia PSI is a tool that can be used to monitor your installed applications for new updates. When started, Secunia PSI will scan your computer for applications and install any updates that are available for them. This allows your computer to remain secure from possible vulnerabilities in your installed programs.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

can I shoot the computer yet? ha. I just don't like leaving these issues unsolved but I'm just not sure what else to do at this point. If this thing had any recovery discs to begin with, I'd very much want to reset things to their original settings and go from there.
That update still wont go... the toshiba service station still wont open... Oh well. I think I may just uninstall some of those toshiba programs.
That windows update is the most frustrating thing at the moment.
When you create recovery discs, does it take everything as it is or does it backup only the basic stuff needed to restore windows? I've always figured it copied the whole system as is and I figured I'd wait and see if I could work out all the bugs before I created anything...

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

The Toshiba Recovery Disk creator if it is there is used to create a set of DVDs that will allow restoring the computer to a as delivered when new state. It uses the recovery partition for that. If the recovery disk creator can not be found ot does not work, You can always order a set from Toshiba.

To order a recovery disk set Go Here

Recovery Media is available for Toshiba computers sold by Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. in the United States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Central and South America, and portions of the Caribbean. If you purchased your Toshiba computer elsewhere, please contact the Toshiba subsidiary where you purchased it for information about recovery media.

Before you order Recovery Media, please make sure you have exhausted your free recovery options. Most in-warranty Toshiba computers have a special hidden recovery image containing everything needed to restore your software to its factory-fresh state. Click here for instructions on using this FREE option.

How to restore your Toshiba laptop to its factory fresh software condition using system recovery
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

Many Toshiba laptops come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk. From this special hidden system recovery image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps:

Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
Click Yes to continue.
When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessar

Creating system recovery media using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator utility
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2753749&pf=true

There may come a time when you would either need or simply want to "start over" with the software image on your computer. This "start over" (or "Recovery") will restore the software on your computer back to its original factory condition. The down side of this process is that you will LOSE ALL DATA and programs that were not preinstalled at the factory.

There are several ways to perform the recovery process. One method is to use CD or DVD** disks or USB flash drive media created especially for this purpose. You can make recovery disks, with blank CD or DVD disks that you provide, using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator utility. A hi-capacity USB flash drive can also be used and is required on machines that do not have a DVD drive.

You can make as many "sets" of recovery media as you like (please note that the media is specific to YOUR machine and cannot be used to "recover" other computers.) Toshiba recommends you keep at least one set of media to use in case of an emergency.

1. To open the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator click on the Start button
2. Type "recovery" in to the Search bar. As you type results will start populating the menu. The more you type the more "refined" the list will become, giving fewer and fewer options as you "narrow" the search. Note: If the results do not include the "Recovery Media Creator" utility, type "Toshiba recovery" in the search bar and try again.
3.Next, select "Recovery Media Creator" from the options presented to you to open the recovery media creator.
NOTE: The option may also be "Toshiba Recovery Media Creator", "Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator" or "Recovery Disk Creator".

Better details including images on the linked page.

Please note that I suggest making the Recovery Disk set before trying the restore form the hidden partition just in case it kills windows by not working properly..
Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'll give that a try in just a second... but, I have this feeling there's no recovery partition. I was looking at the hard drives through some program, I don't recall at the moment what I was looking at... but, there were 2 other partitions other than the main C: and they were both listed as 100% Free, as in empty. One was a little more than 1gb and the other a little more than 8gb. But both were listed as empty.
I sure can't order anything that will cost for this machine. This girl I'm fixing it for, she currently can't afford the $10 for a new keyboard. I sure can't afford to purchase any software for it.
Thanks for the links though. I'll see if I can create something or not.

Edit: It looks kind of like it's working. That would be awesome.
If it does work, I can then use those disks to reset that laptop to factory defaults? That would be good for performance issues and more.
Only downside to that would be losing some applications. This girls uses IMVU but that I'm sure she can reinstall... though, I'd have to double check to see if it's free... I know nothing about it. MS office 2007 is on there as well and that would likely be lost. I think everything else on there, aside from personal data I'll backup, can be replaced.

Edited by millipede, 18 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hi,

If it does work, I can then use those disks to reset that laptop to factory defaults?

That is what they are for. However I would create them, I do two sets as insurance against a bad disk, Then try to restore from the restore partition as I linked above.

And yes everything is gone anytime you do a restore with Toshiba Recovery disks.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks again.
I'm wondering about ms office. I ran Belarc Advisor and it lists the Keys for different products, and had the info for office. I'm wondering if I could reinstall office with that info.
I guess I'll try and if it doesn't work, just put open office on there.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just curious how you made out.

Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

The girls that owns that laptop told me she was going to be out of town for a while and to take my time. Starting to regret doing that. I put it off a little but got back to it the other day. Resetting everything back to the factory settings went smoothly. Updates took a while but everything worked out well with no problems. Actually, things are going fairly well with it, just about ready to call it good... when, I suddenly notice something that I don't remember from a week or more ago...
The fan. It revs up nice and loud... louder than my desktop, louder than I think it should for sure. I'm not sure what to think about it. Was it doing that before and I either didn't notice or, more likely I figured all that noise was part of it just being sluggish from all the junk on there that didn't belong.
Either way, there's no need for it to be acting like that now...
Right now it's next to me, no programs open... nothing running that shouldn't be. All nice and clean, etc...
What's happening is, the fan runs LOUD for about 10 seconds or so. (I counted, didn't use a clock) and then, it totally shuts off for about 20-30 seconds... then, continues in that way. Nice and loud for another 10 seconds or so... then, stopped completely.
I propped up that side to make sure there was plenty of air flow... I even disassembled the thing today to make sure I had enough dust out of the fan and where it vented out... (it was a little blocked but not bad, and now clean) Still, that fan goes from not running to running loud. While I had it open, I peeled the sticker back on the fan thinking I could put a drop of oil in there. The area that looks like a plug to remove, well I couldn't remove it so I didn't force anything.
Anyway... I downloaded the old free version of Everest as I've used that to monitor temps and such before. But when I clicked on "sensor" the page was blank. I rebooted and went to bios to see if there were any readings in there but no... I don't know what the temperatures are in there... or the fan speed. What I do know is that it doesn't FEEL hotter than it should. I'm thinking that it's not actually overheating. But that fan troubles me a bit.
Any thoughts on that? :/

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hi

Glad to hear the reset went good. Don't feel bad I've procrastinated myself when I heard they'd be away for a couple of weeks on Vacation.

1. When the fan runs how does the air coming out feel? Cool, Warm or Hot?
2. By noisy do You mean runs really fast? Or Noisy as in the fan is going bad?
3. Any settings in the laptop for fan speed or in the power profile that might help?
4. Since you had it apart did You notice if the fan is only for the CPU or for the CPU or GPU?

Laptop fans speeds are thermal controlled to save battery. Does the Fan speed cycle from new or only after it has been on a while?
You say it isn't running hot, However is that based on the the way the heatsink feels?

Can you run it where you can feel the heatsink assembly where it attaches to the CPU and GPU? I have seen a few cases where the heat pipes had failed that connect the CPU end to the cooling fins and the fan would be quiet and then speed up and back down due to the CPU running hot. You could almost burn your finger on the CPU but the air coming out was lukewarm. That was a couple of Toshibas and a Gateway.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

So many questions... :)

1. warm. Certainly not going to melt anything. Of course, I'm just testing that now after it's been on 10 minutes.
Initial startup this morning... fan turned on for one to two seconds before stopping completely. Next time it turned on, air flow was cool to warm.
2. I'm unsure. Sounds to me like fast noisy but, I'm no expert on fans.
3. I looked around a little and I found only one place with two settings, neither were ideal if you ask me. Under "power options" under "toshiba power saver settings v8.7.1.0" and then under "cooling method" there were options for "on battery" and "plugged in". Both were set the same. "maximum performance". Hovering over that, "when the temperature rises, fan runs at full speed". Both were set that way. Only other option was "battery optimized". For that one, if the temperature rises the cpu is SLOWED to lower temperature. :/
4. I did not notice. I didn't take the fan out. I planned to at first but there was a cable(display I think) that was taped down on top of it and I didn't feel like going through the trouble of making sure everything lined back up perfectly when reassembled.

Does the Fan speed cycle from new or only after it has been on a while?

As I mentioned just above, it came on for one to two seconds, then stopped. After that, most likely because it wasn't doing anything to get hot, it just sat at the login screen and the fan did not go at all.

I was not able to feel the heat sink or anything. While open, all I could see was the fan. I'd have to disconnect a LOT of things to get to it, and, hmmm... I'm not sure about being able to run it while THAT opened up. :/
What to do what to do??????????
I want to be done with this. She'll be back in a couple days I believe. And more importantly, I REALLY don't want any parts failing as she has no money and I'm not exactly able to just give out free computer parts. I probably have a few spare parts laying around but I SERIOUSLY doubt anything compatible with this..

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I would set the power options to balanced or power saver type settings and see how it runs. The Toshiba most likely has a default or preferred setting for power. It sounds as if it is working normally from what you just said.
The fan runs at power up as the P.O.S.T. is running to make sure it is working. Normal is low speed depending on the CPU temperature, rising as the CPU works harder. You should find that after the laptop is on for a little while there is warm air being exhausted and the fan should be silent. As long as you are sure the heatsink is clean I would return it.

You don't want to get involved with a total disassembly that could damage something and not be helpful.

Setting the power plans down off of maximum performance should help. That would mean that the CPU speed goes up and down as needed and reduce heat and energy use.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I just want to be clear that, from what I've seen... the fan is either on full speed, or not at all. After it revs up for those 10 seconds, it stops completely.
That may be normal I guess.
Those maximum performance settings, you can change it for whether it's plugged in or on battery power. Doesn't matter too much I guess since she has to have it plugged in all the time. The battery dies completely after about 5 to 10 minutes.
I'll look at the settings some more, and since things aren't getting lap scalding hot, I'll guess things are running fairly normally. I just personally don't like loud fans. :)
I'll also do some checking to see if there are any Toshiba updates, firmware etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users