Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any P2p Program Relatively Safe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stormshadow

Stormshadow

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hi All,
i've try some research on the net and i can't seem to find a suitable answer. Is there a peer to peer programs relatively safe. By this i mean not bundle at the start with adaware, spyware or malaware and were you can swap mp3 without getting nasty thing! I've read this article http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/ suggest by TonyKlein and pskelley but the last testing seams a little bit old, as computing goes.

Thank you very much for any answer or link that can provide me the so sought answer :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

The P2P Consortium has a similar list posted here with an ongoing discussion.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Even if you can find a spyware-free P2P application, you are still faced with downloading dubious files from unknown sources. Unless you consistently take special precautions, the probability is very high that you will download serious malware, not to mention open yourself to legal difficulties.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

In truth, there is no safe way to download files from the internet. You are always risking a chance of getting spyware, viruses, etc. If you must download software, I would get it from a site called Download.com. Before you download, read the user reviews. If the majority of reviews say negative things about the program, then don't download it. Download.com is a trusted site when it comes to download software. Peer-2-Peer downloading is not only dangerous, but it also is unwise.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users