Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELETING FILES

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I been trying to delete some files on my desktop. Two or three music files and a couple of film files.I have read your tutorial about Unlocker. I have tried to use it, but it says to click on the file to delete, and when the drop down box appears,and you click to delete it comes up and says, it canīt be deleted as it is being used by another programe.It dosenīt come up with a box that say O/K, like it says in your tutorial. It comes up and says try again, or cancel. Also when you click on the assistant, are you supposed to see the program or is it working in the background.Am i doing something wrong. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sophia77

Sophia77

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

First Exit Unblocker.
Then delete the File.

#3 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi.Sophia77 I donīt want to sound rude, but needed to know first, why am i not getting the message that it says in the tutorial, which is when the drop down menu comes up, press O/K. Thatīs not what i am seeing. It is saying this file canīt be deleted as it is open in another program, and the menu only says "try again" or cancell.

Also i asked if when i click on the Unlocker to open it up, nothing happens. Am i supposed to see an action, because when i click on open the unlockers assistant nothing happens. Could you explain what you meen by exit unlocker, as i have said i canīt see it open. thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I use Unlocker. What tutorial are you referring to?

When i want to delete/move something...I just right-click on the file or group of files and press Unlockert. In the new window...on the left side...I indicate the action that I want to take, then press OK is no locking handles are found.

If locking handles are found, the box is different. I still select the action that I want to take, but then I push the "Unlock All" button. That has always taken care of it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#5 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hi Again.Thanks again but something is wrong. The tutorial am am talking about is. In Windows 7, How to delete or remove files or folders.When i click on the folder Unlocker, i get a dropdown menu with.
Read me
unins
Unlocker
Unlocker
Unlocker Assistant
UnlockerCOM
UnlockerDrive5,sys
UnlockerHook.
When i click on any of these nothing happens. As i asked in my previous post, am i supposed to see, anything opening up, as nothing dose.I know you are trying to help but if you read my post i say that when i right click on my folder. I donīt see Unlocker, and when i press delete it comes up saying it is being used in another program, and at the bottom it says (try again) or cancell. I canīt see unlocker to do anything. Thanks again

#6 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Hello. Whereīs Hamlois. Did you read my last post. Can you help me please. Thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

You could try uninstalling then reinstalling Unlocker...since it doesn't seem to working properly.

You might also run the chkdsk /r command on your Windows partition.

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Try this. DO NOT open Windows Explorer. Open Notepad, click on FILE - OPEN and then navigate to the file(s) in question. When you find them, RIGHT-CLICK on the file name and then choose "delete". Does that work?

#9 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi Alan. No iīm afraid there still there on my desktop. I donīt know how they ended up on there. As i have mentioned any files i download usualy go into my Download folder in My Documents.Itīs annoying and also of course its taking up space on my hard drive.I mean when it says its open.somewhere else, where can that be. Is there no way of tracing where it is at.thanks.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Okay. First, what you see on the desktop are shortcut icons that point to the files, they are not the files themselves. Still, you should certainly be able to delete the icons. Let's go straight to the source. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following two locations and see if you can delete the icons from there: C:\Users\Username\Desktop and C:\Users\All Users\Desktop

Also, do you want to delete the actual files themselves as well as the icons? If so, you need to go to the locations on your drive where they are located. You can find out where that is by right-clicking on the desktop icons, choosing "Properties", and looking at the target location.

#11 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi Again. Iīm a bit of a dummy realy,When you say navigate do you mean, go into my Computer, and start from there. I donīt know where Windows Explorer is. Only the internet. When i right click on the folder and go into properties, it only says file folder(TiME). C/Users/user/Desktop.

The folders iīm trying to delete, are.four or five music files, which somehow are empty, and a couple of film files. Thanks again.

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hi Again. Iīm a bit of a dummy realy,When you say navigate do you mean, go into my Computer, and start from there. I donīt know where Windows Explorer is. Only the internet. When i right click on the folder and go into properties, it only says file folder(TiME). C/Users/user/Desktop.

The folders iīm trying to delete, are.four or five music files, which somehow are empty, and a couple of film files. Thanks again.

Try Spybot Search & Destroy--

http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Get the FREE version.

It will kill files.
See attached picture--

Posted Image

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I recommend AGAINST Spybot. It is old school and not anywhere nearly as good as several other alternatives.

As for your questions, Windows Explorer is the file manager. You can find it in Start - Programs - Accessories or you can click on My Computer (the Window that opens is Windows Explorer).

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I recommend AGAINST Spybot. It is old school and not anywhere nearly as good as several other alternatives.

Which alternatives do you suggest that are better ?
Thank you.Posted Image

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

MalwareBytes is the current best of breed, SuperAntiSpyware is not far behind. Neither is a replacement for a good Anti Virus app and should be used in conjunction with one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users