Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Defrag Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paise

paise

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

The machine I am having problems with runs XP Pro, has 600-some meg ram, and three hard drives. The main drive works well as does the third drive but the second (first slave) is giving problems. I have ran spychecks, CWshredder, HJT, Trendmicro, Ewido, and I have Kaspersky's firewall and antivirus. In addition, I use the newest version of System Mechanic too.

The drive is running a bit slow. I had it nearly maxed out in space but I went in and took off right much. The hard drive has 80 gig of space and 16 gig free. Each time I try to defrag it, the system freezes up. There are no viruses or spyware that I can find however CWShredder does show I have the JKSearch and Hiddendll although I followed all the steps to remove it as listed on this website. It still will not go away.

Does anyone know what is wrong with my computer's hard drive and how I can fix it?

This :thumbsup: computer is driving me nuts!

Paise
Paisley Place
Greed, Murder, Lies - Latest Book - Available for order!
http://www.paisleyplace.com

Epinion Product Reviews including the Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
http://www.epinions.com/user-paisleyplace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

It isn't how much space you have left on the hard drive but how much usable space for the defrag to work.

How did you remove what you removed from the drive?

You may have to move a lot more to your other drives, reboot and try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users