Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First build need advice on components?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 moparfan1234

moparfan1234

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

Ok with some out side help i have come up with this for a build. I already have a case and DVD drive so that is covered.

Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136769

$64.99

MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130662

$59.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817139026

$44.99

ADATA XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GC4G9-2G
Item #: N82E16820211457

$44.99

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD ...
Item #: N82E16819113280

$129.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116986

$99.99

Subtotal: $444.94

I don't play games! the most game that would ever get played is the wife with facebook games. the main reason i am looking at a new computer is i want to watch HD 1080P video. netflix, youtube ECT. (the computer i have now can't play HD) also i want this build to not fall behind power wise in the next 5 years or so. mostly i multi task with about 20 tabs open at a time haha lots of google searching. now the hard part is i may add use's for a computer later. not sure what they will be but i want something that can atlest do ok with most things out there i may get into. this is the main reason i have stuck to a 4 core 3.8GHZ CPU and 8GB of ram. I kinda want to keep them specs up there! (kind of head room for later more power hungry tasks i mite get into) From what I'm told the CPU video will be plenty for what i need unless i want to game witch a card could be added later for that. yes i fully understand right now today this is probably 2 times what i need for a system but i guess my idea is for 5+ years later and who knows what else i mite get into!

so please give me your thoughts on this. is this the right track? good enough parts for what i want? maybe there is a better mother board/ CPU combo with about the same $450 price point?

also HDMI and DVI hook ups will be needed for my monitor and TV hook up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Looks pretty good but if you do not plan to store data files and just plan to install just programs then a SSD would be better choice over hard drive because it is silent and it super quick, so fast booting up every time when you want to use it.

SSD: Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT060A3K5 2.5" 60GB - $80

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

I would get a larger SSD if you are going that route, such as the Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB. Since you are planning on keeping this motherboard for a while, I would get a higher-end standard ATX model, the MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X. The standard ATX is more spread out and allows for greater heat dissipation. But make sure your case can handle it, most mid and full ATX cases can. The board also uses the A85X chipset designed specifically for FM2 processors. This is higher end in that it supports more SATA 6 ports, Crossfire, and RAID 5. Since you are hooking the TV to this PC, are you going to need a TV tuner or are concerned about noise? If so, we can suggest tuner cards and quieter fans and heatsinks.

3939.png

#4 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I did look into SSD but have decided that could wait for another day when i decide to put more money into it. Then at that time i could just use the 500GB HDD for pics and music while the SSD runs the operating system and programs. Also am i right in thinking the faster SSD will only speed up start time of programs but not really gain any speed once running? Right now i normally start the computer in the morning and it stays on all day If im home or not till i go to bed then gets shut down.

The case i got for free :) is a older version of this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144135 the older version i have just has a see threw side and a smaller PSU that will be replaced with the one in the list. oh and the gauge panel is long broke off and gone! So i can fit about any motherboard i want :) i was actually thinking on the full ATX board but was not as smart about it to find the right larger board like you just did :) My plan was to use the computer to play Netflix movies or youtube movies maybe other free online TV shows on the TV so everyone can watch. I guess i never heard of a TV tuner for the computer! but after a fast google search it seems it is just so i can watch TV on the computer and record it. While that is a cool idea but i already have the hole antenna converter box deal setup to the big TV in the house :) At this point i don't think a TV tuner is needed. Maybe later on down the road tho.

I did look at both motherboards side by side and most of it is the same. But the more SATA 6 ports, Crossfire, and RAID 5 i take it is for later use's? I guess i really don't know enough about this to understand what i may be holding my self from by the board i have listed?

thanks for the great input guys! It really does help me learn and get the right stuff :)

EDIT: I almost forgot to answer the noise question. umm i really don't think some noise will bother anything. i wouldn't think anything in a computer could be loud enough to over come the noise of kids running around all the time haha So maybe for now will get it all up and running then see if it is to loud. I don't think i need to buy any extra fans then what comes with the CPU and what is already in the case?

Edited by moparfan1234, 17 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

See how it goes on the noise and if the stock cooler is louder then you thought it would be, i got a few alternative aftermarket coolers suggestion.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

TV tuners for the PC are great. I don't have cable or satellite TV and use an HD over-the-air antenna on the very rare occasions something is on network TV. I did this with the London Olympics since they stay on so long, have large areas I want to skip, and I get up really early. So I recorded on my PC and watched later after work. If you decide to get one, the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 is good. If you want to use Windows Media Center with Windows 8, you will need the Pro version and Microsoft is giving away Media Center away for free to Pro users through the end of January.

You are correct in that both motherboards are very similar, aside from actual dimensions. The A75 motherboard you chose was designed for the Llano line of APU's and it is compatible with Trinity APU's, which is what you're getting. The A85X has additional features and was designed originally for the Trinity APU's. If you later decide to use this PC for more than just videos, or want to install numerous hard drives, you may want the A85X board. The SSD will drastically speed up the PC starting and any other programs on the drive, but other than that, it really isn't needed.

As for fans, the stock fan for the APU can just barely keep up. I would get a quieter, more efficient fan, like the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm. Then, once the computer is built, go in to the BIOS to turn on settings that quiet the PC down. I have sensitive hearing so you may find the fan noise tolerable.

3939.png

#7 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

maybe a stupid question or some how able to be googled but what are the additional features of the larger board beyond more SATA 6 ports, Crossfire, RAID 5 and PCI ports?

EDIT I mite be able to get a used TV tuner for free. a buddy of mine has a computer with sound problems and has narrowed it down to a hardware issue so he mite just give me the hole thing and it does have a TV tuner in it :)

EDIT AGAIN lol: wow thats a wicked cool cooler :)

Edited by moparfan1234, 17 January 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I use that cooler, well, a very similar pre-Gaia version on my FX-8150. The primary purpose of that board, over your original one, is the size. The increased size will spread out the components more and should operate at a cooler temperature. Here's a short, but informative, rundown on the A85X chipset.

3939.png

#9 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Awsome so now i guess i am to the point of pick one of the 2 boards and get to ordering parts! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the great help and info!!

If you don't mind i have a few kind of off topic questions!

1 the APU socket! is there some difference like for performance wise from one to another or is it simply a newer socket is just a update to keep up with the times?

2 Intel VS AMD APU! yes i know this one is a big fight all over the internet! all i seem to find is a outdated bash fit! I really want to find the truth about both good and bad, why use one or the other ECT. So far all i find is outdated Intel guy bash on AMD so the only good info i get is about Intel and nothing good about AMD. i would think if AMD was that bad they wouldn't still be a company :)

thanks again guys! I have no idea how to ever repay you! :)

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I did look into SSD but have decided that could wait for another day when i decide to put more money into it. Then at that time i could just use the 500GB HDD for pics and music while the SSD runs the operating system and programs. Also am i right in thinking the faster SSD will only speed up start time of programs but not really gain any speed once running? Right now i normally start the computer in the morning and it stays on all day If im home or not till i go to bed then gets shut down.

Hi, In my opinion the SSD is worth the money, I've switched everything over excluding a New laptop because of warranty.
Yes Things load much quicker, including windows.

However the drive speed impacts other things too.

1. Updates run much faster, including Windows and Antivirus.
2. Malware scans go much faster.
3. Anything that uses a database will be much faster.
4. I keep my Virtual memory (Swap/page file) on the SSD, anything that needs to use it is faster.
5. I figure it saves me money in the long run. To explain, I shut off the computer several times a day when I'll be away for a while, 30 minutes or more. It only takes a few seconds to shut off and maybe 20 seconds to start-up to a usable state. Why waste $$ paying for the electric usage. Shutting it off also extends the life of components. And reduces dust buildup.

AMD versus Intel. I use Intel myself. I prefer the Intel design where there are no pins on the CPU that could get bent.
AMD will probably be less expensive, so......

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 January 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi, In my opinion the SSD is worth the money, I've switched everything over excluding a New laptop because of warranty.
Yes Things load much quicker, including windows.

However the drive speed impacts other things too.

1. Updates run much faster, including Windows and Antivirus.
2. Malware scans go much faster.
3. Anything that uses a database will be much faster.
4. I keep my Virtual memory (Swap/page file) on the SSD, anything that needs to use it is faster.
5. I figure it saves me money in the long run. To explain, I shut off the computer several times a day when I'll be away for a while, 30 minutes or more. It only takes a few seconds to shut off and maybe 20 seconds to start-up to a usable state. Why waste $$ paying for the electric usage. Shutting it off also extends the life of components. And reduces dust buildup.

AMD versus Intel. I use Intel myself. I prefer the Intel design where there are no pins on the CPU that could get bent.
AMD will probably be less expensive, so......

Good Luck
Roger

yea I am kinda limited on the budget for the build. (I have a few other high dollar toys I am buying my self for my up coming Bday lol ) Other wise i would go for the SSD now. but if i blow the budget witch WAS 3-400 haha to far one of the other toys would have to wait. i don't want to do that. If i was to ditch a different toy i could go real crazy on the build! haha but really i could never use a $2,000 computer haha so for now the SSD will have to wait. I am actually thinking of not spending the money on the HDD i picked out and just use a HDD i already have. so that would take off $65 then i could go for the larger board +$40 and end up at a total cost at newegg of $420. Then a month or 2 down the road order me a SSD.

Doing it this way gives me a better base line (motherboard, APU) that i can add to all i want later. like the SSD a GPU a TV tuner ECT. i would rather not have to rebuild the hole thing again by using cheaper motherboard and APU just to get a SSD now.

If everyone hasent noticed i am kinda cheap! lol

far as my electric bill! it don't matter where i live. this crappy company charges me the same if i leve the computer/TV on day and night or if i never turn them on. heck once summer comes the bill jumps $200 a month even if i leve the A/C off all summer! It is a load of crap scam the city has going and i did try to fight it with it only costing me money! :( the hole town has the same problem but we can't get nothing done about it! but yea i should shut the computer down more and probably will because of what you said about wear!

thanks for the great input!! every bit of info helps this newbie out alot! :)

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Going to your off-topic questions...

1. You have to use the socket your APU or CPU is designed for, simple as that. You'll be happy to know that the APU you're getting is top-of-the-line for APU's from AMD.
2. AMD usually gets you more power per dollar than Intel, but AMD has ceded the high-end performance market to Intel who holds the performance crown. Unless you are getting a super high end machine, AMD's upper midrange processors are still quite good. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, AMD had the lead on performance over Intel, but, Intel has more resources and outpaced them eventually. To counter this, sort of, AMD bought ATI and integrated their GPU technology into CPU's, thus creating APU's. This is why Intel's CPU's which have graphics processing, usually outperform AMD on x86 computational power, but with graphics side of the CPU it's the opposite. In short, you won't go wrong with either Intel or AMD, just budget appropriately.

3939.png

#13 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Going to your off-topic questions...

1. You have to use the socket your APU or CPU is designed for, simple as that. You'll be happy to know that the APU you're getting is top-of-the-line for APU's from AMD.
2. AMD usually gets you more power per dollar than Intel, but AMD has ceded the high-end performance market to Intel who holds the performance crown. Unless you are getting a super high end machine, AMD's upper midrange processors are still quite good. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, AMD had the lead on performance over Intel, but, Intel has more resources and outpaced them eventually. To counter this, sort of, AMD bought ATI and integrated their GPU technology into CPU's, thus creating APU's. This is why Intel's CPU's which have graphics processing, usually outperform AMD on x86 computational power, but with graphics side of the CPU it's the opposite. In short, you won't go wrong with either Intel or AMD, just budget appropriately.

1 That was part of the plain is to have the top dog APU in a 4 core :) good to know that one was right on what i wanted :)

2 Now when you say lead in performance i believe it is ment as consumer level? i watched a video where one of AMD staff showed there genesis world record for fastest CPU but that was with extreme over clocking and as they said unable to be used at that speed in the real world. It was something 8+ GHZ WOW! so to US end users that record don't mean anything haha

Also i had no idea there was a difference between CPU and APU and you just fixed that for me! :) thanks!! It is also nice to know the graphic side will be better because that fits perfect into this build not to mention lower cost for more speed is right up my ally! :) I guess that makes me a AMD guy now lol

again thanks for the great input!!

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yes, lead in performance in the consumer market and the server market with their Xeon.

>Michael 

#15 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

ok i picked up that HP computer from my buddy and it is this one http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79681383-80144351.html?dnr=1 will this TV tuner in this HP work in this build? i will also use the HDD and the DVD drive out of it aswell.

a little off subject question but will the CPU out of this HP linked above work in this computer for a CPU upgrade? http://www.ehow.com/info_8195624_emachines-el1333g01w-tech-specs.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users