Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes and Reboots

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Battle

Mr.Battle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

I have a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 mother board with a phenom II x4 965 3.4 with 2 4GB PNY sticks of DDR3 ram, all of which I just got from someone. Also a NVIDIA GeForce 440 connected to it at the moment for the graphics card and a 500 watt power supply. Two hard drives are connected to it, 1TB and a 80GB I use just to run windows off of. I have windows 7 Ultimate edition installed. The power supply graphics card and hard drives come from a computer that worked perfectly, and so did the cables FYI so I doubt any of those are the issues.

Upon installing windows it froze, and rebooted, multiple times until during the instillation phase and first time set up boot. When I finally got it to install I constantly got the same problem where the computer would restart or freeze when I was doing something. Some times it would freeze/reboot when I opened a program, other times when I closed a program, sometimes when I just moved the mouse. It also restarts or freezes at boot sometimes when it gets to the window logo or Gigabyte splash screen. I have tried;

Switching the power supply
Memtest
Installing windows on another hard drive (It froze during install also)
disconnecting everything and plugging it back in multiple times...
Toying with the bios settings
Updating the bios
Updating drivers.
Booting it with either of the 2GB sticks alone.
(I have not tried installing windows 8 yet. I intend to tommorow... No idea how that would do anything but it seems like it is worth at try at this point.)

I am kind of at the end of my rope. I have been toying with this all day and really do not want to see 170$ go out the window. Ideas anyone? I have had issues from the word go and about to just assume the mother board is bad some how. If anyone requires more information I will be more than happy to give it. I am really hoping that the mother board is not bad though. I think a few people would see a grown man cry like a baby if so.

Thanks for your time in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Have you tried running in Safe Mode with Networking as a test?

• If it still crashes in Safe Mode, that would further point to hardware as the cause.
  • Be careful where you surf to because your antivirus software won't work in that mode.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Mr.Battle

Mr.Battle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have tried safe mode. It did it once there. Restarted. Usually get better results in Safe mode.

It might even be over heating? When it freezes the fan kicks up real loud and spins like crazy.

I quit working on it last night also, installed windows 8 in the morning and everything worked perfectly until about thirty, forty five minutes after and then it restarted it's self while I was changing the regional settings...

#4 Mr.Battle

Mr.Battle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I attached a photo of the temperature readings. Anyone mind giving it a look and seeing if anything is abnormal for a CPU doing nothing but running internet explorer?

#5 Mr.Battle

Mr.Battle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I attached a photo of the temperature readings. Anyone mind giving it a look and seeing if anything is abnormal for a CPU doing nothing but running internet explorer?

Attached Files

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

If Windows 8 is restarting, it's almost certain a hardware problem.

It might even be over heating? When it freezes the fan kicks up real loud and spins like crazy.

Enter Bios setup at reboot (<del> key.
  • Look in PC Health Status for temps and voltages.
  • You should see motherboard temp and CPU core temp.
  • Then check the +12V, +5V, and +3.3V voltage readings as well.
    • The readings should all be within (+/- ) 5%.
    • example: +12V should be within this range (11.4V - 12.6V)

Edit: We cross posted. Voltages and temps look good.

Edited by Artrooks, 17 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

You have to wonder if the motherboard slot that you tested the individual sticks of memory in is bad or if both memory modules are bad. Can you test each stick, one at a time in another motherboard slot?
  • If not, know anyone with a computer with DDR3 that you could run Memtest86+ to test your memory?

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Mr.Battle

Mr.Battle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I know a guy, but getting a-hold of him can take awhile sometimes and this is the only DDR3 mother board I have at the moment. I have switched the slots though. I will try running memtext86+ and see if it comes up with anything. I hope it comes up with errors... I will post back when that is done.

#9 Mr.Battle

Mr.Battle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

RESOLVED:

Memtext86+ Ran I think it was 6 runs and found no errors at all.

Switched out the Geforce GT 440 with a Geforce GTX 550 TI. It worked for awhile. Was stable six hours. Ran some games on it to test it... Seemed A-okay. Until l that night when I got back from work. Froze, reset. Froze reset, same problem again. With much haggling I managed to get my money back on the mother board. I could not find the problem. Even called Gigabyte technical support and she told me it could be the graphics card also.

The end and good riddance. Going to Frys and just going to buy a more recent mother board and processor brand new.

My advice to anyone... Always buy the mother board new from shop... It is worth the extra money to have the warranty and return policy for something so important.

Edited by Mr.Battle, 19 January 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the update and good luck with the new motherboard and processor. :)

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users