Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parent PID(Process ID) for explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Talith

Talith

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

I use a anti virus program that lists the PID's(Process ID's) of programs running and it's showing that all the programs that access the internet in some way have the same base parent PID. Programs like Firefox, Ventrilo, Steam, anything that uses the internet it seems like. But when looking for the program that is using that PID I can't seem to find it. I've looked in task manager under processes and also in services, as well as in Resource Monitor. This is what I'm seeing. PID I can't find > PID linked to explorer.exe> PID linked to the program using the internet (Firefox, Ventrilo, Steam).
The unknown program is always the first parent. When looking at explorer.exe the base parent is also the unknown program.

I guess I'm wondering a few things.
Should there be a parent PID for explorer.exe?
If so why can't I find it anywhere?

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can shred some light on this.

I'm running windows vista 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users