Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my CPU !

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hello, This is my first Thread

I am trying to upgrade the CPU in my Toshiba laptop A105 part number: PSAA2U-05803

I have Intel celeron M 380, but I want to go for Pentium 4 CPU I want some information

I have Pentium 4 CPU with I don't know if it's gonna fit or not

Here is some pictures

this is my motherboard

Posted Image

The mainboard of my toshiba laptop

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

My man what are you doing messing with Celerons and Pentium 4's? I mean if you're doing it just to learn I suppose i understand, but dang those are old! What you'll need to do is look up what type of socket your CPU's are. If they are both the same socket, for instance 775, then you'll be all good. If they are different, then it's a no go.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

My man what are you doing messing with Celerons and Pentium 4's? I mean if you're doing it just to learn I suppose i understand, but dang those are old! What you'll need to do is look up what type of socket your CPU's are. If they are both the same socket, for instance 775, then you'll be all good. If they are different, then it's a no go.

For both gaining more speed cash and learn however, I have done same thing on other laptop before

The thing is the motherboard is kind of old and I don't know if dual core will fit and work with it

I attached a photo for my motherboard shows all the info. can you take look at it !

and tell me what is the best and least CPU I should look for and what size is the socket

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

first, youd have to try and find the socket, and hope that the CPU isnt sodered into the motherboard, if it is, your just plain out of luck. Its hard to tell where its at in that photo. Second, make sure the pentium 4 your using is a mobile version, and not the desktop version, otherwise you could have overheating problems.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

first, youd have to try and find the socket, and hope that the CPU isnt sodered into the motherboard, if it is, your just plain out of luck. Its hard to tell where its at in that photo. Second, make sure the pentium 4 your using is a mobile version, and not the desktop version, otherwise you could have overheating problems.

if you see the first picture you gonna notice the black square between the fan and the hard drive space ! get it

can you tell me what is the socket number from the second picture it's from cpuz app. so that I want to confirm that .

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

ah I see it now. my apologies. looks like socket 478. CPUz doesnt state what it is. Way to find out if your pentium 4 will fit or not, is to try it. If you have to force it, its the wrong type, it should just slide right in once you line up the pins. Make sure you apply thermal paste and get your heatsink on straight-and really watch your temps. pentium 4s tend to run hot.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

For both gaining more speed cash and learn however, I have done same thing on other laptop before

The thing is the motherboard is kind of old and I don't know if dual core will fit and work with it

I attached a photo for my motherboard shows all the info. can you take look at it !

and tell me what is the best and least CPU I should look for and what size is the socket

It looks to me as if it's a 775 socket, I couldn't find much but I did find one source stating that here. Just be sure the P4 is a mobile version like Patriot said and that it fits in without force. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

that is NOT a 775, 775 was the first CPU socket that offered the pinless CPUS, so the pins, had to be in the socket. The socket in that picture, has no pins, so it is definetly, 100% pre-775.

Socket 478: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_478

Socket 775: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775

picard5.jpg

#9 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

that is NOT a 775, 775 was the first CPU socket that offered the pinless CPUS, so the pins, had to be in the socket. The socket in that picture, has no pins, so it is definetly, 100% pre-775.

Socket 478: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_478

Socket 775: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775

Good call Patriot my bad. Regardless though OP, if it fits give it a whirl.

#10 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

ah I see it now. my apologies. looks like socket 478. CPUz doesnt state what it is. Way to find out if your pentium 4 will fit or not, is to try it. If you have to force it, its the wrong type, it should just slide right in once you line up the pins. Make sure you apply thermal paste and get your heatsink on straight-and really watch your temps. pentium 4s tend to run hot.

But I think it is better than celeron, celeron doesn't tend to get hot !

I am sorry I didn't notice that I haven't posted the CPU info.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/72455504.jpg/

#11 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

It looks to me as if it's a 775 socket, I couldn't find much but I did find one source stating that here. Just be sure the P4 is a mobile version like Patriot said and that it fits in without force. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

Sorry but this is the best thing to make sure and not to predict

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/72455504.jpg/

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

aaaah socket 479. Good think you posted that. Socket 479 looks like a socket 478, but its not, it has one more pin and theyre configured differently. With this little bit of information, I can tell you your pentium 4 will not work with your laptops, you need either a celeron M or a Pentium M to work.

picard5.jpg

#13 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

aaaah socket 479. Good think you posted that. Socket 479 looks like a socket 478, but its not, it has one more pin and theyre configured differently. With this little bit of information, I can tell you your pentium 4 will not work with your laptops, you need either a celeron M or a Pentium M to work.

What is the different between Celeron M and Pentium M and, What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium 4

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

celeron, is the budget CPU, pentium was the high end. Between a pentium 4 and pentium M is the M was designed for laptops, lower cache, lower power consumption, and often slower frequency. Pentium 4s outperform Ms, but they run far, far hotter.

picard5.jpg

#15 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

celeron, is the budget CPU, pentium was the high end. Between a pentium 4 and pentium M is the M was designed for laptops, lower cache, lower power consumption, and often slower frequency. Pentium 4s outperform Ms, but they run far, far hotter.

I see I will go for Pentium M and that is it, but if we go a little bit far for core 2 duo

according to this list

My link

Edited by fadi-sheikh, 20 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users