Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a DVD Burner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalRain

DigitalRain

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:56 AM

This is might be a stupid ? - I was looking to upgrade to a DVD burner and I noticed that the system reqs are Pentium III or higher. I have a Pentium II celeron running at 560mhz.

Is it possible to put the DVD burner and expect it to work? Or should I just buy a whole new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

It should work. I do not see any reasons why it shouldnt. There are many dvd-burners that state pentium2 or higher. THis one may have just left it off.

#3 DigitalRain

DigitalRain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:54 PM

So if it says Petium 3 - it should work on all computers? Which DVD burners should I look at for what I have? I was looking at a Sony DVD burner don't remember what model. But I don't want to take a chance it not working. After all the work to put it in and then have to take it out if it don't work.

Plus I need to upgrade to a bigger hard drive only have a 10GB drive Need something like 80GB or bigger. Not sure how they work, if you hook up the harddrive will it understand it's got another hard drive inside?

CONFUSED about all this (can U tell)? :thumbsup:

Edited by DigitalRain, 28 May 2004 - 02:55 PM.

#4 BioHazard

BioHazard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:10 PM

there are alot of good burners out there.. one of the best for doing backup's of games and is priced right is the liteon it reads all major dvd and cd formats. i bought mine for $99. USD from http://www.pcclub.com for the 8X it covers dvdr+ and dvdr-. just remember dvd+ is only for data while dvd- is data movies music and more.

the biggest thing to remember when using a dvd burner is hard drive space and memory. the more memory you have packed into your system the better for burning. in order to go from VHS to DVD they suggest about 10 gigs of hard drive space to do file conversions.

hope this helped. any more ? just ask.

****edit****
fixed the pcclub url... bad me..

Edited by BioHazard, 29 May 2004 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users