Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Restore Errors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WordTa

WordTa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Howdy,

So-I'm not sure where this problem is rooted but here are my symptoms: When starting, my computer will freeze at the splash screen. If I try to boot up using the last good config option (after pressing f8 on startup) that results in the same. If I try to restore to an earlier date the error I got in the beginning was 0x80000ffff, I then tried using some troubleshooting things via random google websites, and the problem consists, but with a new error code, 0x800700b7. Safe mode works (I am currently on in safe mode). Please help.

Misc. I have an HP. with windows 7 home premium. I have been told to try putting in the HP install disc again, but I no longer have that.

Thanks,
Word

Edited by WordTa, 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hello WordTa. Is the HP with Win 7 being referred to is a laptop/notebook? If yes, try booting to BIOS or hitting Esc and run a diagnostic test first to check on any possible hardware problems. The main concern here is the hard drive status. Please try recalling any prior issues, errors or messages going to this current problem.

Tekken

#3 WordTa

WordTa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Ok,

Checked BIOS, after two attempts at running hard disk test results were that the scan failed. Yes it is a laptop. Things leading up to it? All I can remember is the computer rebooting often at random. I don't remember installing any programs or updates of any sorts. Also, I get McAfee pop ups often telling me my computer is at risk, my firewalls are on and what not, the only thing that will not turn on is the real time scanning.

Edited by WordTa, 17 January 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

after two attempts at running hard disk test results were that the scan failed

Can you confirm by this statement 'failed'? Were you able to run a short and or long test? The Mcafee software might be expired or is it a trial version?

Tekken

#5 WordTa

WordTa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Upon reaching ~75% test completion, as well as reading "3 minutes remaining", and after an actual 30minutes-1hr a pop up would say "hard disk test failed"

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

How did you run the test? By the HP laptop built-in diagnostic utility? I would presume its a short test 'failed' error. Were you able to backup all your important documents?

Edited by jhayz, 19 January 2013 - 12:29 AM.

Tekken

#7 WordTa

WordTa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

I ran the test by (on startup) pressing Esc. Options given were BIOS SETUP, SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS, among some others.
I did:
Bios setup
-diagnostics
-primary hard disk self test (this is the one that failed)
System diagnostics
-startup test
-run in test > both resulted in 100% memory(not sure what these do)

I have backed up my important files.

If there is any other way to test hard drive status, I am unaware of it.

Edited by WordTa, 19 January 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

primary hard disk self test (this is the one that failed)

If the short test failed, the drive needs to be replaced. But to be sure, I will ask a BC Advisor to check on the drive further and hopefully clone the drive since you would need a new drive and the HP discs are not available if everything else fails. Good Luck.

Tekken

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

It is almost certain that the hard drive is failing and will need to be replaced.

While Windows is still able to load and be used in Safe Mode, attempt to create a set of recovery disks if possible. :exclame:
  • That is the first thing to do.
If you no longer have the original recovery disk(s) and are not able to create a set, then there are two options:
  • Order a set of recovery disks from HP for your particular model laptop (for a nominal fee).
    OR ...
  • Attempt to clone the recovery partition on the failing hard drive to the new hard drive, and use that to install the Windows operating system.

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 January 2013 - 03:45 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 WordTa

WordTa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

OK thanks, will do, I appreciate both of you all's time. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users