Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hd not reading thru usb

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 griff_02

griff_02

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I have a computer that I pulled the hd out of to try and salvage some info. I'm trying to connect it to my laptop using a sabrent usb adapter, but the laptop's not picking it up. The old hd is spinning but im just not able to get it to read.

The old hd is from a xp machine and I'm using a windows 7 laptop, not sure if that makes a difference.

Any help is very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Welcome to BC griff. :) First, what was the status of the HD from the desktop where it was previously attached to? What issues does your desktop is experiencing in relation to the desktop HD slaving to another PC? I presume that the laptop's My Computer is not showing any removable storage. Did the Windows 7 laptop ever installed a generic driver on the first time it was attached or not?

Tekken

#3 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the response jhayz! All I really know about the old HD is that is comes from a computer that wont power up and has been sitting for a couple of years. Pretty sure the power supply went out on the thing, but unfortunately I don't have an extra sitting around to swap and test. "My computer" isn't showing anything and nothing is coming up on device manager. A driver did not install on the first hook up to my 7 system. I haven't tried slaving to another desktop yet (actually putting it in another machine), was kinda waiting on that as a last effort kinda deal. I've just been trying to use this adapter and nothing's happening :(

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Since its unknown on the previous desktop, using another USB adapter is the only thing that's worth trying OR given another known working IDE/ATA drive, you would know which end is faulty. I guess throwing in that drive internally would be the best solution at this point.

Tekken

#5 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Let me ask you this, would putting the jumper on slave while connecting it using the usb adapter to my laptop make a difference? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but it's the first time I've come across a prob like this. Damn newbie, lol.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Sometimes getting an IDE drive detected this way is a little tricky. Here are a couple of things to try...

1. Shutdown the computer
Remove power from the hard drive (unplug the AC adapter)
Plug the hard drive into the computer via USB
Plug in the hard drive's AC adapter
Turn on the computer
This may get the BIOS to detect it.

2. While the computer is on and the hard drive is not connected to it
Remove power from the hard drive (unplug the AC adapter)
Plug the hard drive into the computer via USB
Plug in the hard drive's AC adapter
Sometimes this jumpstarts the PnP to see the adapter and the drive.
I don't know why this works for me so much when nothing else does but I think it is because it gives the PnP a chance to detect and configure the sabrent usb adapter and then when power is applied to the hard drive it detects it since it already has the Sabrent installed.

As far as jumpers go. Setting it to master or cable select is what I usually do.

Hope this helps

James

#7 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

James you are my MAN!!! Quick question, I got the old HD up and can see files on it, but the only thing I need to pull from it is pix and I see no folder that contains them. Could they be hidden or under a folder I'm not recognizing?

#8 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I take that last statement back... I found the folder, but is there an easy way to take ownership of all the files in it?

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Edited, just saw that you found them

James

Edited by James Litten, 17 January 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#10 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

I'm trying to look at some of the pix just so I can make sure they're good to copy over, but I keep getting "photo gallery can't open this photo because you do not have permission to access the file location"

#11 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

How do I get permission to drag the files over to a new drive? I've been google'n, but none of results seem to work???

#12 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Dudes, I figured it out!! Much love to James Litten & jhayz! !! KCCO !!

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Did you take ownership of the folders? Thanks to James for stepping in and suggesting the power down approach. :)

Tekken

#14 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

I sure DID get ownership!! Thank you both again for your help :)

#15 griff_02

griff_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

This is exactly why I love this site; a community full of cool guys willing to help out. Again, I thank you all very much.... KCCO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users