Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kurotoki

Kurotoki

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ok, well I've just recently built my first computer because the mobo on my old one was fried. on my new pc I've kept the old hdd drive, DVDRW drive and the psu. When I built the new one it went straight to the os which was saved on my hdd, which was fine so I left it, however I now need to change my os but when I go to the bios screen, it just freezes, no keys are working at all, so reset it, and this time I go to the boot menu, which I can press esc and enter but the arrow keys don't work. The keyboard works when I'm in windows and it's a ps/2 connector type.
I've tried resetting CMOS by taking out the battery and shorting the pins, to no avail. Tried it with the bare minimum components, still nothing. There are times when I go to the bios or boot menu screen and all I get is a blank screen, and also my DVD drive won't open unless there is a disc in there already. Any and all help is appreciated

Specs:
Motherboard - gigabyte 78LM-usb3
Processor - AMD athlon™ II x2 250 ~ 3.0GHz
OS - windows 8 release preview 32-bit
DVD drive - TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B
Psu - arctic power 500 ~ 500W
Ram - PNY pc3-10660 DDR3 ~ 4 gb dimm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

It seems that you mentioned fried mobo and retaining some components with it... PSU, optical drive, RAM maybe? At this point, since its a replacement mobo presuming to be not defective, the retained components should be the next possible culprit. I am not sure by what you mean keeping the old HD with Windows 8 and not reinstalling Windows on the new built. Regarding the Windows 8 Preview Builds : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Release-Consumer-Developer-Preview-expiry,19880.html

Tekken

#3 Kurotoki

Kurotoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I've only kept the hdd drive, DVD drive and the psu, everything else is new. Well the os was already on my hdd, so didn't find the need to reinstall it again, however since my activation code for windows 8 has expired I do now, but I want to upgrade to 64bit so I need to boot the os from a disc.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

Can you borrow a known good PSU of same or greater wattage?

Tekken

#5 Kurotoki

Kurotoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

I can't but do you think it's the psu? I can buy one if I need to.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

I was looking mainly on the retained components which could flash some doubts since the fried mobo might have affected the optical/hard drive or PSU. The replaced motherboard is an identical model? Do you have a spare compatible RAM stick to check on the freezing problem? Try swapping it with your 4 gig stick and see if it does the same. Another try, referring to the hard drive is to wipe it (format) completely on another working PC or by externally then try reinstalling again. But usually a format and reinstall would wipe the contents of the hard drive.

Tekken

#7 Kurotoki

Kurotoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

No the motherboard is completely different, I have got a spare one, that's in the computer for when I go 64bit. I've already switched them around, had one in and not the other and still the same problem. How do I externally format my hdd?

#8 Kurotoki

Kurotoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Just found out that when I go to the bios that if I press a arrow key as soon as it come on then it moves just for a second then it freezes/keyboard stops working

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Oh, so its a spare mobo that's previously known working(?). This is a dilemna were facing... :unsure: It's either anything at this point since it comes from a fried motherboard, retaining certain components (PSU, dvd/optical drive) or another bad mobo. Can you try using another stick of RAM and check all power connectors are well in place including the standoffs are not in contact or shorting.

Tekken

#10 Kurotoki

Kurotoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Took it to a technician who said it might be a corrupt bios, I'll let you know what was wrong with it when I get it back. And thanks for your help :)

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Please do let me know how it turns out. :thumbup2:

Edited by jhayz, 20 January 2013 - 01:15 AM.

Tekken

#12 Kurotoki

Kurotoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Well got it back yesterday, and loaded up a new os. With the bios, there is nothing wrong with it (according to the technician anyway) he said that it worked fine and he changed it to boot from a disc first. but when i got it home, it would still not be able to navigate the bios menu's, but it did boot from the disc first though. So im stumped why it doesnt work for me, could it be that im using too many plugs on only two sockets? is there a ghost in my room interfering with my electronics? who knows........

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Did he use a different mouse/keyboard (USB)? What OS was installed?

could it be that im using too many plugs on only two sockets?

I use an extension cord with my XP desktop computer (frequently use) for the monitor and tower plugs only. If it were mine picking up the tower in his shop, given the BIOS freezing problem prior and the technician manage to fix it, the testing on booting to BIOS should be done right there.

Tekken

#14 Kurotoki

Kurotoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Yeah, not sure if it was a USB, but my USB keyboard does the same thing as my ps/2 one. I installed windows 7 ultimate.
Hmm not sure what your trying to say on your last bit, but anywho, I'm happy, don't need to go into the bios menus, so I'm just gonna leave it how it is.
Thanks again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users