Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In The Middle Of A Lightning Storm As I Type

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

OK, I'm turning this machine off and unplugging it as soon as I get done here. Storm is coming from the south, based on thunder/lightning time difference, I figure I have five minutes. What's the best protector(s) and what do I do in future to protect machine if its on/online and I'm not here to shut it down?? bye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:38 PM

I use a surge protecting power strip, though we used to have a backup battery. With the power strip, the more joules it's rated for, the better protection it provides. I don't really think brand matters all that much (mine is Power Sentry), but APC is one of the best known brands for UPS systems and the like.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

I use APC back up batteries.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:09 PM

The APC ( or other) battery constant power supply is the best protection as it protects not only against surge but power interruption which can be just as damaging.
You do not need the biggest and baddest - just one large enough to power your computer off if the power disruption lasts more than a minute or two.

Some come with configurable software to shut down the computer if the power is disrupted.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

One of the most important reasons for using an Uninterupted Power Supply instead of a surge protector is that surge protectors have what's called an MOV in them. (Metal Oxide Varistor) This takes one good hit and then fails without telling you that it's no longer protecting. The UPS will provide clean power to the computer, free from brownouts and blackouts (for a short period) and it will extend the life of your power supply.

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:11 AM

Actually, the one I have has a "Protecting" light that is supposed to go off after the MOV fails. Never tested it, though.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:30 AM

There are at least two seperate problems which need to be guarded against during lightning storms:
1. Electrical surges or brownouts on the power lines.
These can be effectively combatted by using a UPS.
2. Electrical surges coming down the communications wiring.
To prevent these you need a communications surge protector - as Lanscader said they come in different joule (energy) ratings - the higher the better, often the ratings are split into domestic quality, industrial quality etc. The brand is not important as far as protection goes but some brands will offer you free insurance cover if something does get destroyed - what hoops you have to jump through to collect I don't know. :thumbsup:
(If you're on an optic fibre or wireless connection at this point your laughing.)

If lightning strikes close enough to your home your computer will be damaged no matter what surge protection you have, even if it's not plugged in there can be induced voltages from a nearby strike high enough to damage components but a surge protector is a heck of a lot better than nothing.
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users