Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio 1537 - install problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wishmd

wishmd

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Had Windows 7 installed. Started getting bad HD messages, so I installed a new HD and tried to reinstall W7. No luck. Kept getting messages indicating problems acessing the W7 disk on the hard drive. So I changed from AHCI to IDE in BIOS and installed Windows XP instead. That worked fine, to a point. After installation completed I could no longer insert a new dvd into the drive. It will only go in part ways and encounters a stop within a 1/2 inch of the end. The BIOS recognizes both the hard drive and the dvd drive.

Can't change back to AHCI because XP won't run.

So
1) What can I do about the DVD drive?
2) Why was I unable to install Windows 7?
3) Would still like to install W7 if there's a way (can I do it from where I am now?)

Insights appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi wishmd. I presume that your previous Windows version installed was Windows 7 and that your trying to reinstall using the same disc that came with your system or its a retail disc? Did you checked the disc for any scratches or tried (cancelled on confirmation)it on another system? Please post some hardware information, brand/model regarding the desktop at hand.

Tekken

#3 wishmd

wishmd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

OK, actually I am now able to insert DVD in the drive. That part works.
This is a Dell Studio 1537, a gift from my daughter who bought herself a new laptop. She kept the original install CD for Windows 7 Pro x64 and made a copy of it for me.

So this is where I am now:
Even though I was able to install Windows 7 before, now I'm getting a NTDLR missing message, have no idea why. I did install a new hard drive, which is recognized and works (I was able to install Windows XP on the same drive). I have set the mode in BIOS to both IDE and AHCI, same NTDLR missing message.

So, any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Is the Windows 7 disc a retail disc or an OEM disc for that particular laptop? I'm not sure by what you mean AHCI to IDE when its specification shows only as SATA. Do you have the original copy of Windows 7 disc just to make sure? You need to change the hard drive mode to AHCI and ignore the XP system not being recognized then change boot priority to dvd drive (with Win 7 disc inserted) and procede on a clean install of Windows 7.

Edited by jhayz, 18 January 2013 - 03:48 AM.

Tekken

#5 wishmd

wishmd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

OK, everything is cool now. The problem was that the copy of the install disk for windows 7 had not been created properly. I downloaded it again, formatted it using IMGBURN (free) according to instructions I found somewhere on the Internet, set the bios to AHCI, reformatted the c drive (totally removed that install of Windows XP) and then installed W7. No problems, no issues anymore. Thanks for all the help.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for reporting back it worked this time. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users