Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello and help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FlyTheBug

FlyTheBug

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

This one is stumping me. I have a customer's Windows 7 Desktop PC with an embedded ethernet controller, not sure whose controller it is, however the machine is a Dell. I am picking up the machine today to get a really close look at it. The customer went away for about a month and left the PC off. The box connects to a CISCO/Linksys e2500 Router via Cat5e. The link light is OFF. The NIC shows up with no errors in Device Manager and in the BIOS. The IP Address is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. Can connect other machines to the ethernet connection at that particular desk.

The customer bought an "extended warranty" from the retailer. They insist it's a bad ethernet controller, but I am not convinced. I think there's some corruption in the TCP/IP stack, so I ran the NetSH commands to clear and reinstall TCP/IP and WinSock. I have a PCI board ready to install, but I don't think that's the cure; I think it's bandaging another problem that may rear its ugly head again in the future.

Any ideas?

Is there a bootable CD ISO image I can create to add these custom Ethernet Drivers to in order to verify the controller is ok? I think it's a Windows 7 corruption issue, possibly at the API level - maybe in the registry.

How about a really good FREE utility to find some sort of malware that could cause this kind of corruption? I love SpyBot S&D. Anything else I could look at?

Thanks in advance.

A+, Network+, iNet+, WinXP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Why not try a Linux distribution Most of them will have the needed Ethernet drivers.
Most desktop Dells used Intel or Broadcom from what I've seen.

From Here Which Distro Is Right For Me? Take this short quiz

If you have been wondering about Linux and which
distribution you should try you can take this short quiz and
it will give you it's best guess.
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Post #4 for example

Try Puppy Linux. It will load into a RAM drive if you have atleast 256mb of RAM and not touch your hard drive or set it to store you setting in a folder in windows and still run from a RAM drive. Only a 42 meg download and a couple of minutes and you are on the internet surfing

For safety I suggest unhooking the hard drive first. That way nothing can happen to it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users