Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best free download manager?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Random Bob

Random Bob

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

I can't afford Internet download manager. So, I want to switch to a free download manager.

What is the best free download manager with good GUI and a lot of options and good speed?

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2018 - 03:23 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MZAdotcom

MZAdotcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

I've tried and tested a few over the years in virtual machines.

The one that works for me is "DAP (Download Accelerator Plus)". It's free and I've never had any problems with it.

#3 Random Bob

Random Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

The one that works for me is "DAP (Download Accelerator Plus)". It's free and I've never had any problems with it.

I tried Free Download Manager and it was okay. Do you know what the feature differences between these two are? Or why do you think DAP is better than FDM?

Thanks!

#4 MZAdotcom

MZAdotcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

There are a couple of reasons why I've stayed with DAP over the years and I'll get to them in a moment.

As far as FDM is concerned, I've used it and liked it. It's free and open-source, which is always a great combo. But to boot, it has a TON of features...all free. I could list them all, but it's done in a pretty way here. The major difference between DAP and FDM in that aspect is that FDM gives you a lot more, such as being able to download content from video sites which support it, like YouTube, or organizing/scheduling downloads. You'd have to upgrade to DAP Premium to have all those nifty features.

Now you might be saying "I thought you liked DAP better!?!" For me, the features I just listed are things I will never, ever use. I don't download too much, besides an occasional song/video and or game demo. So, these features are wasted on me. Simply put, I used DAP first years ago and I like how it integrates into pretty much every major browser out there. I've used it with Firefox, Waterfox [64-bit Firefox], Chrome, 32 and 64-bit Internet Explorer and Opera. Just as a note: in my virtual machines, I run Safari, too, and as of this writing, there is no DAP plug-in for it.

What's very important to me is that DAP simply works. I've never had an issue with installing, updating or maintaining it. That's a biggie for me, since I test a lot of software. It irks me when a program installs itself in a weird place and has multiple items strewn around my computer. The only caveat for DAP is that it is a smidge sneaky about how it installs with boxed prechecked to, say, change your default search engine to DAP Search, etc. Simply uncheck them and you're good to go. It installs to the exact folder you create for it, nothing more/nothing less. These minor things aside, it has served me well over the years and I always recommend it to friends, family.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MZAdotcom, 17 January 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

I also use FDM though not very much. I don't need that type of manager. I mostly download single files. I do that with Firefox (or other browser). The limiting factor is usually the source speed.

Bulk downloading of images or other file types, where the thumbnail is directly linked to the final image I use the Firefox extension DownloadThemAll!

Bulk downloading of images from sites using Coppermine or image hosts, I use Bulk Image Downloader which is payware. Simple download managers don't have the smarts to figure out the links, which are not direct.

Edited by Nanobyte, 22 January 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#6 jenny rodrigo

jenny rodrigo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hi!!!

I suggest you try KingDownloadManager it is the best free Download manager

#7 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

DAP is an awesome downloader, very useful for multi file downloads. It is as good as Internet Download Manager. Does not hog all your resources.

#8 robertcrawford

robertcrawford

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:35 AM

There are also numerous free to use yet feature rich alternative to IDM available out there through which you can get rid of having to use a pirated copy of Internet Download Manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users