Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SecurityCheck by screen317

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaCountryBoy

CarolinaCountryBoy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Hi all,
Sometimes when viewing the forums and a program is suggested to be downloaded and a log posted I will sometimes download the program and create a log of my system. I do this in order to see what is looked at in that program and how the log is formatted. Mind you, I DO NOT attempt to make any changes unless it is for an update or something similar. I don't make any registry changes or any changes I am not sure of without a moderator's advice on what to do.
I downloaded SecurityCheck by screen317 version 0.99.57. Ran a scan and went over the log produced in Notepad. The log states that I have Acrobat Reader 10.1.5 installed and then states that it is out of date. I opened Acrobat Reader > Help > Check for updates and I am told that no updates are available. Is this a possible bug in SecurityCheck?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 16 January 2013 - 02:38 AM.
Moved to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hello -
I am not exactly sure where you checked, but Acrobat Reader 10.1.5 has been updated to Version XI (11) for a while.

Thank you -
Adobe Reader XI (11.0.01)

EDITED to add link - If that will not get you there, just "mouse over" Downloads -

Edited by noknojon, 16 January 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Hi all,
Sometimes when viewing the forums and a program is suggested to be downloaded and a log posted I will sometimes download the program and create a log of my system. I do this in order to see what is looked at in that program and how the log is formatted. Mind you, I DO NOT attempt to make any changes unless it is for an update or something similar. I don't make any registry changes or any changes I am not sure of without a moderator's advice on what to do.
I downloaded SecurityCheck by screen317 version 0.99.57. Ran a scan and went over the log produced in Notepad. The log states that I have Acrobat Reader 10.1.5 installed and then states that it is out of date. I opened Acrobat Reader > Help > Check for updates and I am told that no updates are available. Is this a possible bug in SecurityCheck?

Adobe Reader does not update automatically to the latest major version.
Adobe Reader 10.1.5 is the latest version for Adobe Reader X (10), however there is a new major version: 11 (Adobe Reader XI).

So you need to manually download and install Adobe Reader XI to have the latest version.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 CarolinaCountryBoy

CarolinaCountryBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Aussie Addict & Didier Stevens,

Thanks for the quick reply and the added info on where to update. This is how I tried to update Abode Reader - opened Adobe Reader, clicked on Help and then clicked on Check For Updates. It took me to their website and said there were no updates available.

Aussie Addict - Thanks for the link. I'll follow it and try to upgrade to XI.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Is your OS Vista by any chance?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 CarolinaCountryBoy

CarolinaCountryBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Aussie Addict & Dider Stevens,

Used the link supplied by Aussie Addict - Adobe Reader X (10.1.4) showed as the available download.
Googled Abode XI and clicked on link to download - got Adobe Reader X (10.1.4)
Deleted Abode X - just in case that was causing some kind of problem.
Went to Abode website and tried a direct download.
Input OS - Windows Vista
Input Language - English
Reader Versions given for download - 10.1.4 or 9.5
Out of curiosity I input Windows XP SP3 as my OS and got a selection for XI
I then input Windows 7 as my OS and again got the option for XI.

The only conclusion I can draw from all this is that evidently for some reason or other Reader XI is not an available download for anyone running Windows Vista.

I will reinstall Reader X and update. This is not really a major problem for me really. I don't use Reader unless I pull up something on the net such as a manual that requires Reader for viewing. If I should run SecurityCheck again will just ignore this warning.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

#7 CarolinaCountryBoy

CarolinaCountryBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Animal,

Saw your post and question when I posted my results for once again trying to upgrade to XI and yes my OS is Vista Home Basic SP2. Found out XI is not an available upgrade for Vista. Will go back to X.

Thanks.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Glad you found the answer to your issue. :thumbup2:

EDIT: The Vista/Adobe out of date issue has been reported to the developer. Thank you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users