Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer recovery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I hope this is a good place for this topic... if not, please move it.

This is more of an unimportant question regarding Acer itself. I'm helping out a friend and I discovered they somehow wiped their whole hdd. It's an acer aspire one, mini thing with NO DVD drive. They had NO backup software or anything.
I contacted Acer today to see what we could do. This computer was bought this past Fall, either Sept or Oct. Not old, still under warranty.
They told me since it's still under warranty, we can take advantage of BUYING recovery discs for $19.95. That, it was her responsibility to create her own recovery media. NO Dvd drive. How does the AVERAGE computer user create their own recovery media without such a drive?

I'm going to email them back in a bit to voice my disappointment.
Last year we had a hdd fail in my wife's laptop. I, unfortunately did not create recovery media myself. The 1 year warranty had expired one whole month before hdd failure. So, it was not under warranty. I contacted Dell to tell them what happened. The VERY next day, I had new software free of charge. The next day.
And here's Acer telling me we'll have to pay and unless we want to pay more it will take 5-10 days.

I'm just disappointed by this all.. and am wondering, is this typical? Should I cause a commotion and see if I can get them to change their mind? Or are we stuck spending $20?
I sure am tempted to NOT recommend Acer as a brand because of this. :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Couple quick thoughts

1) External USB DVD
2) USB Flash Drive: Create a Bootable Windows 7 Installation USB Flash Drive (I've used Option 1, easy all freeware)
3) How to Clean Reinstall a Factory OEM Windows 7 & Clean Install : Factory COA Activation Key (I've done this, activates by Robo-Call to M$)

I replaced a failed HDD on my laptop using the above methods/tutorials, The Tutorials at their forum are beyond compare and are very user friendly. BC & 7 Forums are the 2 best & user-friendliest IMHO.

You may have a point to argue (no DVD drive) re:User respnsibility to create recovery disk though I doubt you'll win that argument I understand & am in complete agreement with your sentiments.

I had a similar experience with Dell. An old laptop at least 3 years past warranty, failed HDD, no install/backup methods. Contacted Dell thru their site, and long story short 48 hrs later (they shipped via FedEx free) I had an XP SP2 reinstallation disk along with 2 other OEM progs (Roxio & Power DVD) that I didn't ask for but the progs originally factory installed had reached "end of life" status...all free of charge.

But I digress (as usual) Let us know how you make out

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 January 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

So if I'm looking at all that correctly, I should be able to get windows back on there without any cost? That would be awesome. I have a couple of flash drives but they both have a few things on them. This gives me a good excuse to go to the store and buy a larger one today. :)
I am first going to format that hard drive and put it into my own computer to run some diagnostics on it and make sure that it isn't faulty. At the moment, I'm unsure of of how it ended up blank. I'm guessing the girl clicked something somewhere and , oh who knows. But I plan on trying to install from USB. Thanks. Anything beats having to pay $20 and wait 5 to 10 days... only to get DVDs leaving me with buying an external dvd drive. That was a possibility I was having to look at.

Thanks.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

You're welcome. One thing before you start, check in BIOS to see if the Mini supports booting to USB Flash and/or DVD drives. BTW, installing Win 7 from Flash drive was quicker than DVD...how much quicker is hard for me to quantify (can't really remember lol) but quicker nonetheless.

Let us know how it goes.

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

It's a new enough computer and it has no dvd drive. If for some reason booting to usb wasn't supported, well that would just be ridiculous and I'd have one more reason to not be fond of acer. :)
I'll be getting to this later today. I'll let you know how it goes.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

:blink: Another U_T moment @ BC

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 January 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I am still not at the point where I'm about to start this, hopefully today though... But I wanted to ask... It says a 4gb stick is big enough. I thought maybe bigger would be better... I went and bought myself a 16gb stick today... but when I got home I started thinking, I want this for other things... and can use one of my 4gb sticks for windows 7. Is 4gb really just fine for the installation?

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I erred on the side of caution and used an 8gb drive-- the Win 7 SP1 ISO content is 3.11 gb so a 4gb drive should be OK, I just can't speak from personal experience. You could always use the 16 gb, drive to be "sure" -- reinstall 7 then format the 16gb drive and use a smaller one, you just have to do the creation process again at your leisure. Or burn a DVD as backup. You can always create the bootable USB drive from the DVD on another machine.

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 January 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

How did you make out?

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for asking. Quite well. I managed to put it on the 4gb flash drive with 600 something mb to spare. Had a little trouble activating but it turned out I switched two characters in the key around on accident. Had to try again after windows was fully installed and it took it that time. Everything is on and running perfectly.
I'm still wondering how this girl wiped the hdd in the first place but, no way of telling now. I'll just hope it doesn't happen again. :)
I finished up with it on Saturday actually, and returned it yesterday. All updates in and all. Was a lot easier than I expected.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Glad to hear it. :)

>>>Everything is on and running perfectly.<<<

Without all the OEM factory installed bloat/crap/trial ware. :)

>>>Was a lot easier than I expected.<<<

I had the same thought as well first time I did this.

Thanks for replying.

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 January 2013 - 08:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users