Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not automatically boot up from hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PhilD

PhilD

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'm having a couple of problems that started at the same time.
Sorry in advance for this post being so long.

Problem #1:

I restarted my computer with a disk in the floppy disk drive (I forgot it was in there.)
It popped up and error telling me that the floppy was not a bootable disk and asked me to
insert a bootable floppy. I took the disk out and tried to ESC out of the error message
which didn't work.

I restarted the computer thinking that since the floppy wasn't in there it would just
boot up normally but it popped up another error saying that the computer was unable to
boot up and to insert a bootable disk into the floppy drive. I can't ESC out of this error
either.

The exact error message is:

Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready

The only way I can start windows is by hitting F8 and starting windows through the menu
that comes up.

I tried a few things to fix the problem.

-I went into the bios setup program by hitting the DEL key at startup and looked at the
boot order. It had the floppy drive first. I changed the order so that the hard drive
was first and the floppy disk drive was second but it didn't fix the problem.

-In the F8 menu I tried starting with the last known good configuration. That didn't work.

-I used system restore to restore the system to a point before the problems started but
that didn't work either.

-I ran CHKDSK /F /R
but no change.

Problem #2:

I also noticed that since this happened that windows will glitch up and I can no longer
drag and drop icons (on the desktop or in folders.) and one time the right-click menu and
the start menu stopped working. Everything else still works. I can run programs, browse
the web and even drag program windows around with the mouse but the icons won't move.

I can temporarily fix the problem by restarting windows but the fix doesn't last long.

I don't think it's a virus or anything like that because everything was working fine until
I tried to boot up with the floppy in the drive.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing these problems? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP (Service pack 3) and everything is up to date (up to the last few
updates which were released after the problems started so I didn't want to install them while
the computer is on the fritz.)

I haven't recently installed any new software.

Thanks,
-PhilD

p.s. Unfortunately my Windows XP disk is packed away in a box somewhere at the moment and
I can't get to it. I don't know if this'll matter to any fixes or not but I thought I should mention it.

Edited by PhilD, 16 January 2013 - 03:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Let's start with the boot problem. IF the hd is the first item in the boot device order in bios and IF the drive and boot sector are good, the system will not even know there is a floppy drive during the boot process. I'm guessing you did not save the boot order when you made the change in bios - please check and see if the hd is still at the top of the device boot order. Also, just fyi - the /f switch in checkdisk is redundant if you use the /r switch. Just boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

#3 PhilD

PhilD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Ok, I checked the boot order and it still has the hard drive listed first.
I saved and exited just to be sure it was saved but it still won't boot.

I also turned off the logo splash screen at startup so I could watch the boot
up process and I saw that there is an extra line to the error message I'm getting.

The full error message is:

Searching for Boot Record from Floppy.. Not Found
Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready

I guess the splash screen was keeping me from seeing that first line in the error
message. I had to enable the splash screen again because for some reason I can't
get into the F8 menu without it.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Please boot to the Recovery Console. Once there run the following two commands (pressing ENTER after each) and then reboot. Let's see if that helps:

fixmbr

fixboot

Also, if necessary you can go back into the bios and DISABLE the floppy drive.

#5 PhilD

PhilD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

How do I boot to the recovery console?

Sorry I'm a rookie at this stuff.

#6 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

How do I boot to the recovery console?

Sorry I'm a rookie at this stuff.

Boot to the XP CD. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts - then choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm

#8 PhilD

PhilD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Ok, I think we've hit a snag. My win xp cd is packed away and I can't get to it I'm afraid.
Is there any other way to install the recovery console?

#9 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

If you have the i386 folder on the C: drive you can run the following command C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

I guess I should mention that you do this from the Run box so Windows Key + R then type in that command and press enter. You may get a warning about upgrading it should be safe to click ok to continue.

Edited by Nunos, 16 January 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#10 PhilD

PhilD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I checked and there's no i386 folder on the C: drive.

#11 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/176904-windows-cant-start/

Ok try the instructions there to download that file and burn it to a bootable cd then run it on the system with the problem.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/176904-windows-cant-start/

Ok try the instructions there to download that file and burn it to a bootable cd then run it on the system with the problem.

Please do not follow that suggestion. Although the suggestion for such is rather common, there are legal implications with the download/use of such iso files reflecting the XP Recovery Console.

See Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

There is an alternate procedure which does not present any problems of any type, see comments by AustrAlien at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic421198.html/page__p__2424943#entry2424943 .

Thank you :).

Louis

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

You can try to borrow an XP CD of the same version you have to boot to the Recovery Console.

#14 PhilD

PhilD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

When I asked I guess I was hoping that there would be a software fix.
I'm naive, I know. :)

My cd-rom drive doesn't work. It won't read disks. Hasn't for quite
a while.

I hadn't figured on having to use any disks to fix the problem and knew
that I had no access to my xp disk anyway so it didn't occur to me until
I started trying to mess around with the .iso.

It seem things aren't looking good for a fix. :/
Is there any hope outside of using the recovery console cd?

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

New optical drives are not expensive. I suggest you replace it - you'll have to at some point anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users