Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:32 AM

I set up a home network (one wired, two wireless connections) using a D-Link DI-624 router. Everything was working until a couple of days ago when one of the wireless connections went brain dead. The router reports the connection with the computer and the computer indicates a connection with excellent signal strength and quality. What little information I can get about the problem from Windows XP Pro is that there is "little or no connectivity" because the router is not assigning a network id to that computer. The wired connection and the other wireless connection work just fine. I have tried connecting the other computer with ethernet cable with the same result so it seems to be that particular computer has offended my router in some arcane, binary way and now the router hates it. I updated the firmware for the router and the driver for the Intel Pro Wireless 2100 3a network adapter on the computer. All to no avail. I have spent most of a Sunday poking around and making up words to express my dissatisfaction with the situation and very soon my wife will be joining the fray wondering why HER computer won't connect to the internet anymore. I would love to be able to give her not only an answer but a solution. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:44 AM

From the problem computer, click on start then run, and type cmd and press enter.

Then type ipconfig /release and press enter. This may take abit. Then type exit to exit the dos prompt and reboot your computer. Is it working now?

#3 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:25 AM

Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately the result is still the same: no connectivity, no network id.

I did a little digging with the ipconfig command and got this error message when I tried to renew the interface: "An error occurred while renewing the interface with wireless net connection 3: The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized." To my untutored eye that seems to be telling me that something in the registry or perhaps a necessary dll is corrupt/missing.

This might be an appropriate point to add that the troubles *seem* to have begun after a full system scan and subsequent delete-fest with Ad-Aware SE. There were about 8 registry keys identified as being "critical objects". Is it possible a necessary registry entry could have been deleted by Ad-Aware in my zeal to eliminate pests?

#4 skyman101

skyman101

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:20 PM

your problem seems similar to my problem. it could be blocked by your antivirus solfware, you need to check personal firewall /security setup. or try to unblock your firewall to what's happenning.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:53 PM

Are yuo receiving an ip address on the problematic computer? And yes it is possible that ad-aware could have messed something up though it is rare.

Please download LSP-Fix from the following link and save it to a location you can find later if necessary.

LSP-Fix Download Link

run the LSP-Fix program I had you download earlier, and click on the finish button. Reboot and see if the internet now works

#6 confuzd

confuzd

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:34 PM

all the d-link hardware i have use has been bogus. i have a d-link wireless nice and a client and i just die out?? no reaseon and had it about month before it burnt out on me..

#7 confuzd

confuzd

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:41 PM

me and a buddy bought a d-link wireless router , came home hookd it up couldn't do nothing with it and played with if for a few hours troubleshooting and no results. finally took it bak to the store traded it for a different brand hookd it up and it was ready to go. we just happen to buy a bunk d-link router. unbelievable.. how long was the hardware running before it started having problems?

#8 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:42 AM

I have resolved the issue with my wireless network.

I was suspicious of the timing of these problems so I restored everything that Ad-aware and I deleted. The networking issue went away. I then deleted registry entries identified by Ad-aware one by one until I came upon the culprit: Marketscore(netsetter). When that registry key was deleted, the network refused to work and when it was restored everything was fine. I researched the entry on Lavasoft's TAC (threat assessment chart) and discovered that Marketscore was notorious for disabling Internet connections upon its deletion. That entry is now in the "Ignore" list.

If you are interested, the registry entry was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: software
etsetterAOL Name: NS

Thank you all for your advice and effort.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:55 AM

Just glad it worked out!

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for providing the information to getting it to work properly.

Something is making me curious though.

When you ran the SAME program on 3 different computers, and it disabled one of them, then why did it not cause any harm to the others? hmmmm :thumbsup:

Are all computers XP Pro?

Have you tried other ports on the router?

Im sorry if it seems like to me that your problem is not fixed. I do commend you doing the research and logical thinking to repair it. Something in the back of my mind tells me that the problem will come back though.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users