Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Access Denied. Contact Administrator

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert KS

Robert KS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I recently had to reformat my Dell Latitude D630 laptop at work (Windows XP Professional with SP3). We also have a server (Windows 2003 Server) that we use to store documents, network printer drivers and common items. I have never, in the past, had any problem accessing anything on the server until after the reformat. I can access everything with one exception. We have a common folder "Controlled Documents" which contain sub-folders for Word and Excel documents for each company department. I can access each of these sub folders and all the files in them with the exception of the files in the "Manufacturing" subfolder. I can open the "Manufacturing" sub-folder, however, when I try to open any of the files, I get a "Access Denied. Contact your Administrator" message. I am the administrator, and I have no idea what is causing this.

I checked several of the other computers in the office and no one else is having any problem accessing the files contained in "Manufacturing."

My server set up was the same as it previously had been when I wasn't having any issues. Again, I can access everything else on the server, just and I always have.

The access permissions on the server haven't changed.

Even though my server access (on the server) was not affected but the laptop reformat, I even deleted my server access and created it anew in the server, but that made no difference whatsoever (I can still access everything on ther server except the files in "Manufacturing.")

I don't know where else to look. I am thinking though that the problem must be on the laptop side, rather than the server since nothing within the server has changed. If anyone has any ideas and can point me in a direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Is the laptop using the same username as before?
Did you compare the sharing and security permissions of the "manufacturing" folder compared to others that are accessible?(looking from the server computer)

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 15 January 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 Robert KS

Robert KS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

The laptop is using a different name, but the sharing and security permissions are the same as for all the other folders. In the past, everytime we needed to add a new computer/user, I would simply add a new user on the server and add the appropriate group memberships and we've never had any problem with access. I made sure that my name on the laptop matched the name on the server.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users