Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gunner 1

gunner 1

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hello All,
Hope this is in the right place, I want to remove WMP and all its folders and files If possible. I ran itunes until we got a sony walkman, when i connected the walkman it synced everything from itunes, so in trying to stop this happening again i played about with WMP and lost the folder, what i want is to find all the wmp files and folders remove them with WMP and start afresh, do i need WMP on my PC or can i download something more user friendly.
hope this makes sense.
Thanks gunner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=Remove+Windows+Media+Player+from+XP%3F&oq=Remove+Windows+Media+Player+from+XP%3F&gs_l=hp.3..0i10i30j0i8i30l3.2250.13219.0.14422.36.21.0.14.14.1.359.3794.0j17j1j3.21.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.65AAxFaa18c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41018144,d.dmQ&fp=15267b9c4f7f6348&biw=1280&bih=759

WMP is installed as an integral part of Windows...I would not advise trying to remove all files/folders that pertain to it, but...that's just me.

Although there is an entry for WMP under Add/Remove Programs (Windows Components), I'm not sure that removes files or just disables the function (similar to what occcurs with Messenger).

Louis

You can install/use any number of other players on a system...I have Real Player, VLC, Media Monkey, Musicmatch, and a couple of others currently installed on my system. I only use WMP for a few minor things.

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#3 gunner 1

gunner 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Thanks Louis,
I think I will look at some other programs and just leave WMP as it is, just one thing, will WMP download everything I rip into another program.
Thanks again Gunner

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

WMP doesn't "download", it's just a program capable of opening certain typez of files, as specified by the system user.

It's like any other program...other than the fact that Windows (when installed) sets it as the default program for certain types of media files.

Those settings can be changed anytime and any player used to open those same media files.

To change the default program for opening any file extension...go to Explorer view of My computer, click Tool/Folder Options.

Click File Type tab, scroll down to whatever extensions you want changed...and change them.

Also...just about any player installed will either take or provide the option of taking control over various media file extensions, designating itself as the program to open such files.

Louis

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

WinXP by default installs WMP 9.0 if you upgrade to 10.0 or 11.0 you can uninstall from Add/Remove but it puts the previous version back. The better media player is VLC Media Player I use it all the time and its free.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users