Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista seems hijacked

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Evansdavid

Evansdavid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hello, sorry to bother you but vista now boots but only shows the proper screen for a second before a white screen with foreign words. The screensaver kicks in normally after a couple of minutes. Neither rebooting nor safe mode work and I am unable to run anything. It happened after I installed what I thought was a simple font manager. Hmmmmmm
The HD is partitioned C and D with data on D. Can you think of anything i could do or try, if not, a recovery disc could reinstall Vista by wiping C, would that work or would it wipe D as well.
I would really appreciate a bit of help or just sympathy
Very many thanks, and a happy new year
David
Oxford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

If you have the installation DVD you can do a Startup Repair.

You can find instructions for this at this Windows website. Scroll down to "Options to try if Windows won't start at all" and click on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Evansdavid

Evansdavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Thankyou, but windows seems to start, it asks for my password and the opening screen with all my program icons appear, but only for a second before something then causes the white screen. The screen saver starts working normally after a minute or so but any movement of the mouse triggers the white screen again. I have a recovery disc but that seems only to give the option of wiping the disc. So, a bit stuck.
David

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

What is the make and model of this computer.

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If you can, does the same thing happen?

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Edited by dc3, 15 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Evansdavid

Evansdavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hello again, it is an Acer 9810 running Vista ultimate. I can get into safe mode, windows loads, asks for my password and then the same thing happens. I am thus unable to download or run 'Speccy' , I do have a copy of Spotmau, would that help?
Thankyou

Edited by Evansdavid, 15 January 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Do you have an external monitor which you can try to see if this is isolated to the LCD panel?

#7 Evansdavid

Evansdavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hi, sorry for the delay, a bit of snow here. I will get hold of another screen but the existing screen does display the pictures I have in the screen saver, does that suggest that it is more likely to be a software problem, in which case is there anything that can be done other than reinstall the OS and everything else?
Thanks

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

You aren't going to be able to reinstall or do a repair installation without being able to see the what's on the screen.

At this point we really need to find out if this is the LCD display or not, this means connecting an external monitor via either VGA or HDMI.

I can find references to the white screen, but no reference to the screen returning to a normal state while is uninterrupted screen saver. Not to mention the reference to foreign letters.

What was the font manager which you downloaded?

Can you take a picture of the white screen with letters and post it here?

What happens when you try to boot into the BIOS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users