Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privitize VPN?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 7-11

7-11

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

I downloaded hxxp://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8003100/Internet_Download_Manager_(IDM)_v6.14_build_5_Incl_Crack_with_Ke which actually is a "Privitize VPN" installer. I was stupid and I installed the .exe. After that, my browser automatically opened hxxp://www.privitize.com/postinstall and by then I realized I was doing something wrong. Then, I searched for "Privitize VPN" on Google and it turned out that this program is bad, and it's said that uninstalling via Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs" won't do.

What should I do? I've searched for the solutions but it seems that I have to tweak here and there in regedit.exe which I'm not good at..

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.
Deactivated links to protect readers and moved topic to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

Here's a typical removal guide. You could try an app like RevoUninstaller which is more thorough than "Add and Remove Programs" and includes registry actions.

There are plenty of free download managers and you don't seem to have very good anti-virus software either (or you overrode what you do have).

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

There are four topics in the Am I Infected forum regarding this from this month alone. Privitize VPN is a browser hijacker.

Edited by dc3, 15 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 7-11

7-11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Here's a typical removal guide. You could try an app like RevoUninstaller which is more thorough than "Add and Remove Programs" and includes registry actions.

There are plenty of free download managers and you don't seem to have very good anti-virus software either (or you overrode what you do have).

I have Avast actually and it's doing good. But, I stupidly deactivated it in order to install that VPN thing when it already blocked that suspicious installer earlier..

#5 7-11

7-11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Can anyone confirm that using RevoUninstaller would remove the program completely?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Your topic has been moved to the Am I Infected forum. Please be patient for help from MRT personnel as they are very busy helping others.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users