Windows XP MCE, SP3
I inherited an old laptop a while ago from a sibling, and rarely used it. Never had any problems, but it apparently never had any virus scan software and I never spent the time to figure it out.
Fast forward to a week ago, when I moved and started using it temporarily as my main computer. Everything started going awry. Here's a list of initial symptoms starting a week ago:
(Note that after these things I attempted preliminary treatment, which I will also list below).
1. Taskbar started reverting to the "classic" toolbar. Though sometimes it didn't fully change the full taskbar, just part of it. If explorer crashed though, it would usually come back as all classic. The Ultramon taskbar on the second monitor was usually affected as well.
2. The "Windows Audio" service kept getting stopped. Therefore system sounds would still play, but attempting to open the mixer would kick back an error.
3. Windows update seemed to have been blocked. I would see the yellow "updates waiting" icon in the system tray, but it would disappear. Manually attempting to run the system update would usually just sit there and not update.
4. Java could not update for some reason. I know an outdated version was installed.
5. Chrome cannot open any web page.
6. System really seemed to chug and lag, despite staying >8% of CPU usage.
So after seeing this stuff happen, these are the steps I took:
1. Installed AVG free, Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D. Ran scans, and allowed all programs to just remove what it found. Since I didn't expect this stuff to be a big deal, I didn't really pay attention to what was being found, I just kept removing whatever was found. (I attached some log files from avg. The spybot log I found lists no infections, but I have run it several times afterwards).
2. Uninstalled all old java, and manually installed the newest version.
3. Rebooted to safe mode, and repeated most scans, still just removing whatever got caught.
4. Installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and ran scans and removed anything found. (one recent log attached.) I repeated this scan in safe mode as well.
5. Re-ran AVG scan, but it kept saying "Error 0xe0010058" and "Error 0xe0010053" for each thing found.
Results so far:
1. "Windows Audio" still gets disabled. I can go to services.msc and restart the service, open my browser and run audio through it. But the service will still get disabled, and anything opened after the disabling will not see any sound device installed (even though system sounds still play.) Even right now, I can play audio from hulu in Firefox, but the volume control in the taskbar is missing, and going to the "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" from the control panel says "no audio device." Sound still playing.
2. The taskbar "skin" after the most recent reboot reverted to classic taskbar, but eventually switched back to the regular xp-themed taskbar. The Ultramon taskbar, however, stayed as classic.
3. Windows update icon re-appeared to say it was downloading updates, but afterward when I told it to install them, it listed them out and said they could not be installed.
4. Ad-Aware lists two things in my quarantine folder: trojan.malware (2 traces) and Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT.
5. Chrome still cannot open any web pages. (not sure if this is related, since it existed before these other problems.)
6. Windows no longer as sluggish as it was before, even though it's still at around 8% CPU usage (same as before).
I appreciate any help/guidance anyone can give. Let me know if you have any additional questions or ideas. Thanks for your help and time!