Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on automatically when power cord is attached

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frank C.

Frank C.

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi

My computer automatically turns on whenever I attach the power cord.  I see the power supply fan turning and hear the hdd spin for a few seconds and then the fan shuts off but there's still power running in the computer because the power button light is on. The fan and the hdd begin to spin again and then "shuts down" and keeps repeating.

I switched out the power supply with a different one and the same problem occurs.  I removed the memory and plugged in the power cord and still the same.

Computer is Gateway E4620S and am running WinXP. 

Motherboard is Q35T GB V: 1.1 15-V31-011100

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frank C.

Frank C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

I cleared the cmos by switchingthe jumper settings as well as changing the battery and I was able to get the comp from turning on automatically but when I do turn it on it doest evven get to post. Manually shutting it off stops the psu fan and hdd but the pwr indicator light stays on requiring me to pull the power cord.

I forgot to mention that this problem occurred after I shut my computer downby pressing the power key on my keyboard while it was in sleep mode or whatever you call it whenthe monitor turns off until you move the mouse or use the keyboard.

Is my MB done or is it repairable?

#3 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I would look into the power saving options in XP... maybe you accidentally changed some of the properties there.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#4 Frank C.

Frank C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately I can't get to post and then run winxp. It just hangs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users