Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Your Typical Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 norwood781

norwood781

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

So I live in a two family house.

There is a wireless router running off a Windows 7 machine downstairs.

Up here, I have a Windows 7 laptop connecting to the wireless network.

Directly next to that, is a desktop machine connected to the internet, via internet connection sharing through an ethernet cable, from the laptop next to it.

I recently acquired another laptop, running Windows XP, and would like to connect that, if for nothing else than file sharing, to the desktop and laptop upstairs.

I really think I should be able to do this pretty easily, but I'm stumbling.

Can anyone kindly offer some sagely advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 macboy81

macboy81

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

I would get powerline ethernet saves alot of messing trying to share your connection from laptop to laptop.

#3 norwood781

norwood781
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

That is awesome. Thank you!

Can you think of any alternatives to the setup I have with my desktop and laptop #1? In your opinion is there a better, more efficient way to connect the two of them?

#4 Troy Jollimore

Troy Jollimore

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

So you have your laptop, with a desktop sharing the Internet from the laptop directly. Now you want to add ANOTHER laptop to this pair?

The easiest way to do this would be to leave things as-is, or add a wireless adapter to your desktop, and run them all through that wireless router downstairs. I'll read between the lines here and assume you don't want the other two computers to access that router directly, for whatever reason. Another easy way to do this would be to buy a small switch (if you wanted to wire the new laptop up) or use a wireless router with it's 'router' and 'DHCP' functions disabled so you could have the XP laptop wireless, internet sharing from the Win7 laptop like you already have.

Your network isn't that odd. The big thing would be to outline why you wouldn't just connect everything directly to that downstairs router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users