Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used REVO to uninstall Windows Live...Now sound doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 morea311

morea311

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

I'm using Windows 7. My computer had no issues until yesterday when I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to delete all the Windows Live folders (movie maker, mail, photo managers, etc...) I erased them one at a time and then had Revo scan for leftover registry files (which I also deleted). I emptied the recycle bin afterwards and rebooted my computer. Now I'm having all sorts of problems. I'm sure some files that were necessary system files were somehow tied in with the registry files that got deleted.
Here's the issues:
-Speakers won't work even though the icon looks normal. Plugging in headphones or an external speaker doesn't do anything. (Realtek High Audio Definition speakers)

-The wireless connectivity icon in the taskbar used to show the escalating bars icon, now just shows a square with a red X through it. Although I do have internet connectivity.

-When I type "services.msc" the first thing that shows up is a script error (not sure if this is significant or not)

-I've tried to do a system restore but get this error: "System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application even log for more information. (0x80042302)

Here's what I've tried.
-Scanned for viruses using several programs.
-Uninstalled sound driver - Reinstalled itself upon boot and didn't fix anything (gave an error about a hardware change not being detected)
-Adjusted Volume Shadow Copy using Services.msc to 'automatic'
-Ran CMD as an admin and typed SFC /scannow - Received this error: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"
-Tried a system restore using the f8 boot screen. It went through a long process but in the end didn't do anything to fix the issues.
*Note: I recovered over 3000 files that were deleted yesterday (using Recuva) and saved them in a folder, but without any knowledge of where they belong, they don't seem to do any good.

The main issue I care about is the speakers. Is there anything short of a complete reformat and reinstallation of windows to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users