Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Me

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

I have just been given a computer to repair and noticed it is a dreaded HP desktop..the worst of it is that they made the comp with only 64MB RAM...Crazy..any ideas as to how to make it as light as possible for optimum performance?

Thanks
Darren De Wilde

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Which OS odes it have? What are the specification of the computer? In any event if you are repairing it, and it is running 9x*Grinler I would atleast bump it up to 128mb.
I'm sure you are going to add the freeware security recommended here? That will soak up quiet a bit of that 64mb.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:15 AM

Even though it takes time to install me, it runs smoothly if installed with only bare bone components and office only. otherwize it becomes slow. if u r using it with internet follow these guidelines too.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:22 AM

Even though it takes time to install me, it runs smoothly if installed with only bare bone components and office only. otherwize it becomes slow. if u r using it with internet follow these guidelines too.

Correct. With 64mb of RAM only $15, moving up to 128mb is a cheap way of increasing the preformance of ME. Personally I upgraded all my P-III computer to 512mb when running 98se/ME. They now run W2k with 512mb and a couple with768mb. Nothing says you cannot use software tweaks also.

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for your advice...she wanted Wordperfect to run on it but WP productvity is not ME comapatible. I feel that with ME being phased out, she may be better off digging a bit deeper into the purse and getting a more current system. I am not sure at this time how much mem is supported by the HP Pavillion 6735 Mobo. She is still dialling up and does not have a network card installed either. She did say she didnt really use it that much so I may be swayed with tweaking it a bit and just spending a bit to increase memory. Will the Pavillion Mobo work with 512MB?..I'm sure crucial.com will be able to verify this also. If so, I may just chuck XP on it and upgrade to maximum memory. Any suggestions would be appreciated very much...like i said, she doesn't use it too much so I wanna keep layout cheap and minimal. but she does want Wordperfect to run on it which requires a copy of XP and more mem..a bit pricey for a comp that is gonna gather dust..thanks chaps and ladies,

Darren De Wilde

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

Is this your computer? Doc 1 Doc 2. If it is you could pop in 512mb and run XXP with no problem. I have several computers that run XP Professional on similar Dell and Compaq systems. I would look and see if Woed Perefect runs on Windows 2000. If it does you can pickup a copy cheaper than XXP and you will be just as happen.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

They have been making Pavilions for a long time. I have an old one with ME on it, and it only came with 128 MB of RAM. But it's got an empty slot and I'm sure it will take a lot more. You might try going here and plug in the brand and model number of the computer to see what memory it will take.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

In the links in post #6 it indicates that computer will accecpt 512mb.

#9 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Thanks again Guys,

I'll have a word with her and ask her what she wants to do. How much is windows 2000 and is it pretty much the same as XP..I thought XP was based on the NT design..where would the best place be to get hold of it and how easy is 2000 to maintain, tweak and set up etc.?

Darren De Wilde

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

Windows 2000 isn't quite like XP. XP is the blending of the home and business types of OS's. 2000 is more of a business software. It's stable, secure, but not as great for multimedia or games.

Prices.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

When recommending W2000 I was taking into account it was an older computer and that W2k is much lighter than XP on resources. Sorry if I mislead you to believe it was better than XP. I felt it was a better choice than '9x*Grinler for that machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users