One of my users 'got a malware' over the weekend. I identified the certified-toolbar malware, removed it in 'Remove Programs' and followed other instructions that I found after a Google search. That didn't seem to work, so I manually searched through the Registry, changing all occurances of certified-toolbar to google.ca. Overall, this seems to have fixed things up. The only persistent annoying problem is that when any browser first starts, the certified-toolbar search page is what comes up. All other browser functions, including the home page, seem fine. I know I'm going to get yelled at, but since a couple of MalWarebytes scans turned up completely empty, I ran rkill, TDSKiller and combofix. Nothing of note turned up with any of them, and the problem remains. Even hijackthis turned up everything as being on the up-and-up, so far as I can tell.
As I mentioned, this computer isn't 'mine', so access to it may be a bit sporadic. Fire off your instructions and I'll do my best to get you the information! Thanks!
System is a notebook, running Windows 7 64-bit.
Just discovered, this even affects MS Outlook. When the application is started, it defaults to the certified-toolbar.com website.
Edited by Troy Jollimore, 14 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.