Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone mind explaining why this happened.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LightTheSkyline

LightTheSkyline

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Alright so I don't know weather to put this in Windows 7 section or not. But if its in the wrong section, can a mod move it to the right section? Thanks.

Alright, so the other day, I made a Partition of about 50 GB so I can install Windows 8 Pro and try it out and so i can Dual Boot to Windows 7. To be honest, I somewhat liked it. Anyway, everything went smoothly, installation went smoothly, once I was inside Windows 8, I downloaded Adobe Collection CS6, it told me to restart the system, so I did. I press Enter on the Windows 8 on the Dual Boot Screen, and it loads, and BAM, a BSOD. So I'm like oh ok, I will try to go to Safe Mode, and BAM another BSOD. So I'm like ok, I will try to go to Windows 7, and I also get BSOD. So the only way to get my PC to work was to reinstall Windows completely. Now I want to keep on trying Windows but I'm hesitant at the moment. I don't want this to happen to me again. Is there something I did that messed up? If anyone can clarify I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like the boot manager was corrupted to me. You can sometimes have luck with /fixboot, /fixmbr, and /rebuildbcd.

#3 LightTheSkyline

LightTheSkyline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Sounds like the boot manager was corrupted to me. You can sometimes have luck with /fixboot, /fixmbr, and /rebuildbcd.

Do you know why it was corrupted? Was there something I did wrong? Because I want to try Windows 8 again before I buy it.

#4 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Well I don't know what instructions you followed or what or when it happened so any guesses on my part would be speculation. But I would not be affraid to try again after I made a good backup of my data. You may want to find some instructions for a dual boot scenario on Microsoft's website or some other site you can trust.

Also if your hardware will support it you can do Client Hyper-V in Windows 8 Professional so you could run Windows 8 as your main OS and the other OS as a virtual machine. I actually prefer this way because I find it faster than rebooting. http://www.northernaurora.com/topic/733-using-windows-8-client-hyper-v/?hl=hyper

Edited by Nunos, 19 January 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Do you know why it was corrupted? Was there something I did wrong? Because I want to try Windows 8 again before I buy it.

Where did you get Windows 8 (and the license key) that you installed so you could try it?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 January 2013 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users