Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop not starting up correctly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ive got a Packard Bell laptop but have just noticed that it only starts up intermittently. Mostly I just get 'Windows is starting' and thats it - just a black screen. I have to shut it down and then it starts up in safe mode repairing the incorrect shut down i imagine.

When I do get on, once i click ie, even before Google comes on, i get a message saying ie has had to shut down.

Can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Try runing sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Go to Start, click on All Programs, click on Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, click on Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

Posted Image

Type sfc /scannow and then press ENTER:

This scan consists of five parts and will take a while to run. You will need to be patient and allow it to complete. Stopping it while it is still running can damage your operating system

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

It keeps asking me to insert my Windows CD, but I dont have it. Can I carry on regardless?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

What is the model of this laptop?

Edited by dc3, 16 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Its a Packard Bell. Its less than 12 months old and up to now has been working fine. It has had a full scan by Microsoft Security Essentials, Advanced System Care and Malwarebytes which picked up about 13 items - after the scan it asked me to restart. I did but of course when it rebooted it only got as far as Windows starting up and then the endless black screen.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

In your first post you explained that this is a Packard Bell, I need to know what the model is.

It keeps asking me to insert my Windows CD

Is this what happens when you try to run sfc /scannow?

Edited by dc3, 16 January 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

I managed to run sfc /scannow but it only took around 10 minutes and said; Windows resource did not find any intergrity violation ..

However, I remember last installing a programme called 'i livid' which I installed and then deleted. Looking on google it appears that this is a virus. I have since scanned with Malwarebytes and I also went in to Device Manager and disabled and reenabled my video card and so far everything seems back up and working. I also reset IE in Internet Options.

Thank you for your time, it was much appreciated. I think the system was messed up with the virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users