Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Quake Aftershock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave S

Dave S

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

Hi Guys.

Have folloed the instructions to remove Spyware Quake from my son's computer this afternoon.

Many thanks to the guy(s) who sorted out the process and posted it.

However, I am left with two very annoying remnants.

Whenever I boot the computer, two windows appear in the centre of the screen immediately following startup.

They are the windows left over fron SW Q that say 'Starting Windows Setup' and 'Norton is unable to remove the infection'

They have now effect but it's bloody annoying.

The galling thing is, I just cannot trace what part of Win XP makes them appear.

Can anyone help please?

Cheers

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

Mod Bump
Posted Image

#3 Debbie79

Debbie79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:57 AM

Hi there. Im new to this.

Please can you give me the link on how to remove SpywareQuake.

What a pain in the butt!!!!!!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:42 PM

Debbie79 see How to remove SpywareQuake

Dave S if your still having problems then I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Edited by quietman7, 05 April 2006 - 02:45 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 reynald

reynald

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

Is anyone going after the SpywareQuake b*stards for infecting peoples' PCs to sell their program? It's outright extortion. I just spent a good part of the day removing their garbage. According to their website, they operate out of Braintree, Mass. I'd like to see some heads roll (figuratively speaking, of course). These SOBs have to be made accountable. I'm going to contact the MA attorney general, for starters.

#6 kjmass

kjmass

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I too have been besieged by this f'ing SpywareQuake, :thumbsup: I am beyond angry. I happen to live 20 minutes away from Braintree Massachusetts, where they say their company is located. Their phone number is unlisted, and their address seems to be suspicously missing from their site and the Whois information. However if they are a licensed company I can obtain their address from Braintree City Hall. I then will visit their offices, and file the nessacery complaints with the state. I will bring a printout of the posts here relating to this issue and I will fill you all in on any progress I make. I am sick of companies getting away with screwing with my computer and finally I am quite possibly in a position to do something about it. Wish me luck.

Regards
~Keith

Edited by kjmass, 08 July 2006 - 10:24 PM.

#7 kjmass

kjmass

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

yeah, so much for thinking I could do something about these SpywareQuake bastards. The stuff on their site about operating out of Braintree Massachusetts, and even the awards are all BS!!. The site is registered out of the Philippines, and it is hosted on servers in the Ukraine. F'ing foreigners. I saw a lot of tech sites with Whois site info, IP addresses, DNS servers, etc for spywarequake, hopefully they pissed off someone who knows how to use that info against spywarequake.
:thumbsup:
I hope the people responsible for infecting my computer get caught in the next tsunami that sweeps through that piece @#%$ third world excuse for a country, and as there dead bloated corpses wash up on the shores of Vietnam, I will sit there on my nice comfy couch eating popcorn, watching CNN, and reveling in the thought that the pieces of @#% that screwed up my computer just floated by on TV.

~Keith

PS
Thank you very very much to Bleepingcomputer for hosting this forum, where of course I learned how to get rid of the Spyware Quake virus, and also thank you for allowing me to vent, take care.

Edited by kjmass, 10 July 2006 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users