Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local area connection issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 barrythegreek

barrythegreek

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

My laptop is connected wirelessly at the moment but only getting about 2Mbs according to Speedtest.net . I am a BT costumer & have been onto them several times, tomorrow they are sending an engineer so I went to run a test on there site . It says you should connect by Ethernet which I've done but under the networking tab in the task manager it says disconnected for a couple of seconds then flashes connected 100Mbs then disconnected again. Anybody know what the problem is? BT said that if the fault is in my equipment I have to pay £99 so I'm a bit worried. Until a couple of weeks ago I was getting 5/6Mbs regularly, Any ideas please?

Edited by bloopie, 14 January 2013 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to the more appropriate forum. ~bloopie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 barrythegreek

barrythegreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, sorry :thumbup2:

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

What connection speed do you get on wired? I presume that your subscribed bandwith from BT? Please post the computer and router brand/model next time.

Tekken

#4 barrythegreek

barrythegreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for your reply jhayz

It's a BT 3.0 router & Asus X5DIJ laptop but as I said it's the fact that it doesn't connect wired that's the problem. Don't know what you mean by "I presume that your subscribed bandwith from BT? "

#5 Troy Jollimore

Troy Jollimore

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

When you connect via Ethernet cable, do you disable your wireless adapter, or disconnect from the wireless network?

#6 barrythegreek

barrythegreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hadn't tried that Troy, I just went into change adaptor settings & it said the Ethernet cable was unplugged so I checked it & tried a different socket in the router but it still says it's unplugged. I don't have another to test but a friend is going to bring one round & his laptop so we can try & isolate the problem. Thanks

Edited by barrythegreek, 15 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

"I presume that your subscribed bandwith from BT? "

Sorry, I was suppose to ask your ISP connection speed which you posted 5/6 Mbps?. In my place, a faulty ISP modem/router would be replaced for free only if the 1 or 2 years contract has passed or lapsed depending on your signing agreement. The ISP router included was intended for the 2 years warranty or replacement after lapse and continous subscription.

Edited by jhayz, 16 January 2013 - 07:00 PM.

Tekken

#8 barrythegreek

barrythegreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

The router was replaced but I'm going to rule out everything else before I call BT again. I cancelled the engineer's visit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users