Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automate Scans on a PC

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 street9009

street9009

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have several PCs that I'd love to have scan automatically every week. The problem is this- in the past probably year or so, I've gotten almost no use out of any product but ComboFix. It seems that Spybot and Malwarebytes pretty much pick up cookies and maybe something else here or there, whereas if a PC has a problem- it seems ComboFix is almost always the cure. In all honesty- I haven't had a PC in at least the last year that once ComboFix ran, that the other two did any good. I still do it (for what reason I do not know), but it seems kinda pointless. Maybe I'm the exception and not the norm, but that's honestly been my experience.

However- from what I've read on the internet, automating a run of ComboFix is a bad idea? I guess what I'm trying to do is make sure I can keep these PCs clean without having to touch them once a month, quarter, etc.

So I'm looking for suggestions from some folks with experiences beyond my own. How would you suggest creating a process (scheduled task) on a PC that performed routine scans and disinfected or notified someone of any it found?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

If I understand you, you want to schedule a scan but don't want to use the AV product that is installed on said machines?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 street9009

street9009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

It's not that I don't want to use it, more than I want to supplement it.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

... I've gotten almost no use out of any product but ComboFix. ...whereas if a PC has a problem- it seems ComboFix is almost always the cure. In all honesty- I haven't had a PC in at least the last year that once ComboFix ran, that the other two did any good.... I guess what I'm trying to do is make sure I can keep these PCs clean without having to touch them once a month, quarter, etc.

If I'm reading/comprehending this correctly you need to run Combo-Fix on a regular basis...on multiple machines...to "clean" them? Clean meaning what? Routine pc maintenance? Or some other definition?

#5 street9009

street9009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

... I've gotten almost no use out of any product but ComboFix. ...whereas if a PC has a problem- it seems ComboFix is almost always the cure. In all honesty- I haven't had a PC in at least the last year that once ComboFix ran, that the other two did any good.... I guess what I'm trying to do is make sure I can keep these PCs clean without having to touch them once a month, quarter, etc.

If I'm reading/comprehending this correctly you need to run Combo-Fix on a regular basis...on multiple machines...to "clean" them? Clean meaning what? Routine pc maintenance? Or some other definition?

Yep, you got it. "Clean" basically meaning scan for any Malware and remove it. And I believe ComboFix is the best at doing that.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Not to be sarcastic but I'd say you need to change your surfing habits. Just my .02, YMMV.

#7 street9009

street9009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Not my PC. I'd agree with you but you know as well as I do that 95% of the PCs on the internet have something on them.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Are you running an internet cafe or something?

#9 street9009

street9009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Nah. Just people (friends, family) who I help with cleaning PCs so I was trying to do some preventative/automated cleaning so I don't see them so often.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

...95% of the PCs on the internet have something on them.

:unsure: :blink: :huh: if you're including tracking cookies I'd say that's probably true, maybe even higher, but malware? Maybe according to CNN or CNBC. :whistle:

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 January 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#11 street9009

street9009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Am I wrong? I don't believe I am. It's the nature of the users that use PCs. They think it's fine to install a "Free" coupon printer and then wonder why their PC breaks down.

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Maybe 95% of the people you know don't care about their computers. A PC is not a glorified doorstop. What does that have to do with anyone else? The bottom line is that Combofix is not a maintenance product. It removes malware after the fact. I've never used it because I haven't been infected in a long time. I think you're looking for something foolproof. That doesn't exist. There is always the possibilty that infections can get through because new strains of malware are created daily. I scan for infections weekly and that's what everyone should do. If something slips through, I will catch it in time. And I practice safe surfing habits. Look, if family and friends are coming to you as Mr. Expert with repeated infections, maybe you need to draw the line and stop helping them. Send them here. We'll educate them.

#13 street9009

street9009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Oh I agree. However, I think there's something in what you just said that lends itself to my point "I scan for infections weekly and that's what everyone should do." That's what I'm trying to do- run ComboFix once a week and clean up anything it finds. It's not preventative. It's maintenance, like you yourself do on a PC that you know how to care for.

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

***FACEPALM*** Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 January 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#15 street9009

street9009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

...95% of the PCs on the internet have something on them.

:unsure: :blink: :huh: if you're including tracking cookies I'd say that's probably true, maybe even higher, but malware? Maybe according to CNN or CNBC. :whistle:

I don't know man. Most PCs I see, whether brought to me because they're infected or not, have some form of Malware on them. I'm talking about PCs where I've been asked to do something for a business, or set up a wireless network in a home, etc. where the user had no idea they'd been infected but they indeed had. I don't read reports. I observe.

I reply to your post again because it was edited after my first reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users