Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure how to describe the issue I've been having.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skeletor_owns

Skeletor_owns

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Okay, for possibly the last 2-3 weeks I've been having an issue where my computer will constantly be refreshing and opening up windows for no reason. I'm not sure what to do, when I open my browser (Chrome) I try to search for some possible fixes, but the first key press I enter into the search bar will automatically take me to a site I have visited before, for example if I hit "y" it opens up youtube instantly. Thinking maybe it's a Chrome issue I try opening the settings however clicking the settings button opens up another tab instead. If I try opening a alternate program like notepad I've found that the program scrolls down constantly, and won't allow you to close it. It simply skips asking whether or not you want to save before closing and opens up my files for me to pic an area to save to. Clicking close simply goes back to notepad auto scrolling down.

I've found that it doesn't always happen, but when it does I can check by clicking on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the screen that holds my program list. By clicking on the arrow the small box does appear however it flashes constantly in and out until I left click away on something else a few times. If it is important to know it is also nearly impossible to do anything from the start button. It will also flash repeatedly,and I think if I hover the cursor over any of the programs they open automatically. This is accompanied by things like Skype opening itself up even though I haven't clicked on anything. (Skype is technically running, but I have it minimized in the background so to speak, and even after closing it over and over it keeps reappearing).

My first thought was that my new keyboard was the issue, and it's feature where it disables the windows key was to blame, but after all of the other stuff has happened I don't see how that can be the issue. I have Kaspersky anti virus, and I've run scans and what not, but every single time nothing surfaces. I'm not sure if all of these issues are linked, and I will be the first to admit I'm not even remotely close to being the best at troubleshooting these types of problems. I'm literally confused beyond all measure on what the issue could possibly be and humbly ask for anyone's assistance.

Thanks in advance and if you need me to clarify anything I'll try my best to do so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Weird !

The first thing that comes to mind is a hardware problem. You say this started with a new keyboard, so - beg, borrow or steal a keyboard of a different make, plug it in and see if the problem goes away. If it does, take your keyboard back and ask for a replacement ( or your money back ! ). Worst comes to the worst, you are out the price of a keyboard, but they are fairly cheap.

If that doesn't work, then I would be inclined to start the computer in safe mode with networking ( tap the F8 key several times while the boot screen is showing, and it should go to the boot option menu, if you haven't done this before ) and run your scans in safe mode. It would also be interesting to see if the problem continues when you are in safe mode. I have once had an application go out of control like you describe, but it was only one application, and shutting down and a cold boot sorted it.

One thing, you don't say what type of keyboard your new one is, and what sort of connection it uses.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Take a look at the article "Troubleshoot wired keyboards that don't respond or that type wrong characters" at Microsoft Support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Skeletor_owns

Skeletor_owns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'll try using a different keyboard and see if that helps. But I've also asked this question on another forum, and they think the issue could be some sort of infection. Hopefully the issue is just the keyboard, and I won't have to go through some process of deleting a virus.

EDIT:My new keyboard is a Razer black widow ultimate 2013 edition. It is wired through two separate usb cables. It also came with some audio cables if I wanted to use my microphone through the keyboard, but I don't use this feature.

Edited by Skeletor_owns, 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

I've also asked this question on another forum, and they think the issue good be some sort of infection.

Going between different websites to accomplish a resolution to your problem only increases the likelihood that there will be confusion. I would suggest sticking with one site, since you already have a topic posted in another site I would suggest that you stay with that one until you either have a successful resolution to this problems, or you feel that they can't help you any more.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Skeletor_owns

Skeletor_owns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

My apologies, I was just somewhat fed up with the issue, and tried to get an answer as quick as possible by posting on two forums. I however do think that you guys are right, and I'm going to try with a different keyboard first before I do anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users