Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaking.com - Registry Backup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

It's a very similar tool to ERUNT.
I had serious problems with making Erunt working on Windows 8 (you need to do some serious tweaking on Vista and 7 as well to make Erunt working) so I opted for "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" and it works just fine.

How to use it...

Download Tweaking.com - Registry Backup from here: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html
Double click on downloaded tweaking.com_registry_backup_setup.exe file to install the program.

Open installed program.
Click on Backup Now button to create first manual backup:

Posted Image

Now adjust some settings.
Click on Settings tab:

Posted Image

By default the program will keep 5 backups.
I changed it to 10.

Now click on Create Schedule button.
By doing so the program will automatically create new Windows task, which will create fresh registry backup on every logon.
If you power your computer on more then once every day and you want to have just one daily registry backup click on Open Advanced Settings button and put checkmark in Only Do 1 Auto Backup Per Day.
You're all set :)

To restore your registry backup open the program and click on Restore Registry tab.
Select appropriate backup from drop-down menu and click on Restore Now button:

Posted Image

You can also restore registry backup manually.
Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to:
C:\RegBackup\your_computer_name\backup_date folder (it'll look like this: 1.13.2013_7.24.50-PM)
and double click on dos_restore.cmd file.

NOTE.
1. At the above site you can also download portable version.
Portable version can be ran from a thumb drive and keep backups of multiple systems.
In case your computer becomes unbootable you can boot to USB flash drive and restore your registry from there (providing you keep current registry backup on USB drive).

2. Help videos: http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,3.html
How To Use The Program
How To Use Restore From The Windows XP Recovery Console
How To Use Restore From The Windows Vista & 7 Repair Options
How To Use Restore By Using A Live CD

Edited by Broni, 14 January 2013 - 01:37 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

It gives you about 6 choices to pick from to download - does it matter which one you choose?

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hello Judy, long time no chat!

I would suggest either of the "direct download" links: Go for the "portable" version if you don't wish to actually install it long-term on either of your computers. Otherwise, I would go to the link to download from MajorGeeks. I would suggest you avoid SoftPedia if at all possible as a source of downloads ... and I have no inkling one way or the other about the other two mirror sites.

Do you have a new computer with Win8 by any chance?

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 January 2013 - 06:50 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

You know I would never get a new computer without you!! I hate to give up my XP Professional - it scares me to death and you know how easy I scare!! I was thinking this might be better that CC Cleaner - it seems to delete a lot of stuff that I always have to put back in. I was just thinking!!

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

I'll try Registry Backup. Thanks Broni. :)

Tekken

#6 KevinHNgu

KevinHNgu

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

I have a quick question, do I need another hard drive, ssd, etc. to use this?

Edited by KevinHNgu, 03 December 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

No. The tool creates its own folder where all daily registry backups are located.

Even if your computer becomes unbootable you still can use those backups top restore your computer to the state from before crash.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 captainK

captainK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

What I need to know is:

Can I restore a Tweaking backup OFFLINE, from another operating system.  Ex:  take the corrupted hard drive, place into second computer from which you boot into Windows and then restore from a Tweaking backup stored on the secondary hard drive TO the secondary corrupted windows on that drive?

Edited by captainK, 10 March 2018 - 04:33 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,626 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

Yes, see video 3:00 minutes in. You can also use any bootable disk to copy the files. For Windows 10 it's best to disable fast startup. This can prevent writes to the drive if you are using a live linux disk to boot and copy the folders to the root of the drive. SecureBoot would also need to be deleted if not using a Windows 8 or 10 install disk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=GT9ApxM2WZI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users