Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added 2nd HDD, laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ausjmc10

ausjmc10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi all,

I have an Acer Aspire 5560G. It came with a 750Gb HDD and a Blu-Ray drive. I wasn't using the optical drive, so decided to put in a 60Gb SSD as the boot drive, use the other drive as storage, and put the Blu-Ray into an enclosure for external use. I bought a Silverstone TS06 for this, which included the optical drive enclosure as well as a caddy to install the HDD in the optical drive slot.

The SSD has installed fine, and the computer is working well. However, when the other HDD is attached, it won't boot. It sits with a blank screen (not even the backlight), doesn't beep or reach POST, and after it's been on for about 2 seconds, the HD activity light comes on and stays on... so it's trying to read something, but I don't know what.

The second drive has been formatted, completely erased using DBAN and then formatted again. If I connect it once Windows is running, it reads the drive with no problems at all, and everything's happy. If I attempt to restart, though, the same thing happens.

I consider myself a capable computer user, but in no way a technician/expert, and I'm completely stuck for ideas. Can anyone help out here? Would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hi

With both drives attached, are you able to get into the BIOS settings by hitting F2?
Doesn't sound like it would work but I've got to ask.

If you can get into the BIOS, check the BOOT tab and see if anything looks wrong in there. I don't think you'd notice if the boot order was messed up if it did not have both drives connected while you were in the BIOS screens.

James

#3 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

probably look at the boot order... make sure it's set to boot in the right order

#4 ausjmc10

ausjmc10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Nope. You're correct, James... Can't access BIOS setup with both drives attached - it doesn't respond to any keys.

The SSD is priority 1 when the other drive isn't attached, so I would think that'd hold true when another is attached? Currently moot though, as I can't check/change it.

Thanks for the ideas; any other thoughts?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, you know what I was going for in order to see if it was changing the priority (since the DVD is often set to boot first).

Sounds almost like a power issue where the computer is waiting for certain power requirements to be met before starting the POST (though I can't see the HDD drawing more power than a blu-ray drive).

I'll check on that, but in the meantime, make sure that you try it without anything external connected (which from the way you post sounds like you already tried it :) ).

James

#6 ausjmc10

ausjmc10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Bump.

James, did you have any further thoughts on the power issue? I tried without external connections several times, yep.

Any other ideas?

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I don't have an SSD so I have no knowledge of settings but is your HDD also configured as Master rather than Slave? It will be per original setup if you did not change the jumpers.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Is that Silverstone caddy just a SATA on one side and another SATA on the other? I mean are there any other electronics in the caddy besides a connector that connects the hard drive to the laptop?

Does the caddy feel like it is going in smoothly and securely?

Does the optical drive work if you put that back into the laptop instead of the hard drive/caddy?

Just want to make sure that there is not an issue with the caddy or the socket it plugs into in the laptop.

James

#9 ausjmc10

ausjmc10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thanks again for suggestions, guys. The caddy was connecting smoothly, and seemed to be just a connector from 22-pin SATA to 13-pin slimline SATA. The HDD had no jumper initially, and my understanding was that SATA drives rarely used jumper settings?

Using a suggestion from elsewhere, I switched the drives around, and found that when either drive was connected in the main HDD bay, it was fine (either booted, or told me the OS wasn't found), but when either was attached in the caddy, the problem occurred. This pointed to caddy or mobo, I assumed.

Managed to find posts online from several other people having similar issues with Acer notebooks, and every one that solved it had done so by flashing BIOS. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me... I found one site that suggested needing a minimum BIOS version of 1.16 to solve the issue, and as fate would have it, the most recent version for this model is 1.15.

Called tech support just to check, but no dice... they couldn't offer anything more.

So the final answer seems to be that an Acer Aspire 5560G can't support a second hard drive. Not what I wanted to find out at this point.

Thanks to you guys for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users