Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezes on POST

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kondo

Kondo

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hi.

I was installing Linux (My laptop runs on Windows 7, and I'm planning to dual boot with it) several days ago, and unfortunately, there's an error that appeared in the installation process. I wasn't able to see what error was that because it restarted immediately.

After that, my computer won't get out of the POST.

Everything's fine before I install it. The changes I made before proceeding is Shrinking Volume.

I've tried removing the RTC battery for about 10 seconds, but it does not help. (Yes, I did disassemble my laptop.)

My computer freezes at POST. Unless keys are pressed repeatedly, no beeps will occur. 1 key press = 1 beep, regardless of what key you press.

Having the CTRL+ALT+DEL combination will just turn my computer off.

The POST I'm taking about is almost the same as this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-29101RzqNYE/UHU2cvXvxmI/AAAAAAAAAAo/qJP78dptPMM/s1600/Acer+Icon+Logo.png

Edited by Kondo, 13 January 2013 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kondo

Kondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Update.

I was able to boot normally with OpenSUSE Live KDE CD, only if my HDD is removed. Now, I do not know how to fix my HDD. There are so many files that I really need to recover from that. I hope some expert would help me! Thanks!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

You can use Ubuntu Live CD to recover your data. There is a good tutorial for this here.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc for your operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Kondo

Kondo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

You can use Ubuntu Live CD to recover your data. There is a good tutorial for this here.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc for your operating system?

Yes, I am using OpenSUSE Live KDE CD, but I cannot recover the data since everytime I try to boot the computer with the HDD attached, it won't get pass the POST.

Model = Acer Aspire 4745G

Yes, I have the install disk for my OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users