Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network speed limited to 2.5 Mbps on ONE computer on my network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rocketronnie

rocketronnie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

OK,
this is a call for help after struggling with this one all weekend. I have one (XP) machine running slow on my network which I can't get normal internet down/up speeds or stream smoothly from my NAS whether it's connected wirelessly or wired or even direct to the modem. Have reset modem, tried another router, checked other machines successfully through the same wired connection. I can't get the slow machine to go fast or any other device to go slow.

Much research and head-scratching later I'm no nearer a solution. As I said all other devices on the network are fine, and the slow one is slow even if its the only thing connected. Virus & spyware scans not showing anything.

Speed test consistently showing a max of 2.5Mbps, when other devices are managing 30+. Have tried router reset to factory & many other things. Any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Virus & spyware scans not showing anything

Can you post what scanners were use during this time? Please post the computer model. Have you tried disabling your firewall and protection software most specifically when connected by wired? Since wired connection also is consistent on slow internet speed, it is however very odd that both adapters would be faulty but not impossible. What other things have you tried in resolving the issue? Have you tried safemode with networking on ethernet? Updated or reinstalled the router's firmware and network adapters?

Tekken

#3 rocketronnie

rocketronnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

Thanks for the reply Jhayz,

I was thinking firwall issue, so had tried turning off the windows firewall & even the firewall in the cable router with no effect. That both the wired & wireless went at the same time was significant. Sophos & MBAM scans clear.

One thing I hadn't tried until last night was a system restore to a point before the problem started. Last night I thought - can't do any harm so tried it. Fixed - back to 30Mbps+

No idea what the problem was though! Lots of windows updates have since gone back on & its still working. Have had a couple of crashes of Firefox - not sure if these are related, but so far everything else is ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users