Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer partially shuts down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FrustratedByMalware

FrustratedByMalware

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help.
I have a desktop that runs Windows XP. My computer partially shuts down at random times. What I mean by partially is the following. The monitor goes black, the power button on the monitor changes from blue to orange. The mouse still has the red light (that red light usually goes out when I fully shut down the computer). Nothing works any more. I need to push the power button a long time to shut the computer down manually. Then it starts out again.

My thoughts were:
1 - hard disk failure: It seems to make a funny noise and I backed up my data. Disk check did not show any problems.
2 - I ran malwarebytes and did not find anything. I will run it in safe mode now to check.

Any help on what I can try?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Are you sure the power settings aren't calling for the system to go to sleep after a period of inactivity?

#3 FrustratedByMalware

FrustratedByMalware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Thanks Allan,
no, sometimes it shuts down much faster. Especially yesterday, when I backed up my data on an external hard drive.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

I've got to go with Allan. It sounds like its going to Standby, and/or Hibernation. If the PC is actually in Standby then pressing any key should get it going again. If it's in Hibernation, then pressing the Power button should start it. The time it takes to get into either state may vary depending on what you have been doing. Apart from general variations, lots of open applications take more time to be saved on disk going into Hibernation.

If the Power button, when held, is set in BIOS to shut down the PC that explains how the PC is finally turns off. Normally you would have to release the Power button and press again to restart the PC. I can't explain why it restarts immediately after powering off. Presumably you checked your Power Options as Allan intimated. Check your BIOS/Power Management settings too.

Edited by Nanobyte, 13 January 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#5 FrustratedByMalware

FrustratedByMalware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hello again,
thanks for your replies.
I still have the problem. Maybe I did not describe it well. The computer screen goes black and the computer still makes some noise. I am not sure if it is the hard disk or the fan.
However, at that point I need to push the power button for a long time to fully power it down. Once it is shut down completely, I can power up again.
I do not believe it is in sleep mode or hibernation.
How can I check if the hard disk is failing?
What else could be wrong?
Thanks,
Regine

#6 FrustratedByMalware

FrustratedByMalware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Forgot to mention, it does seem to happen when one is working.
It happened often when I backed up to an external hard drive.
It did NOT happen for a full night, when I forgot to shut down the computer.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

How can I check if the hard disk is failing?

Thanks,
Regine

Hard Drive Diagnostics:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users