Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuild Dell XPS410, or build from scratch, or buy new?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mastahunta

mastahunta

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi all,

My dad just gave me a hand-me-down Dell XPS 410 Desktop computer, when he purchased another machine. I've always considered building myself a rig, and I cannot discern if now is the time... and that is where you all come in!

My only other comp is a Sony laptop, which I've used for a couple of years now to play Starcraft II and League of Legends, but I would like to eventually upgrade to a desktop. So the computer would be used for gaming and browsing primarily.

Having just graduated college, with massive loans to pay off and difficulty finding a worthwhile job, my funds are definitely limited. I'm HOPING to be able to get about $600 set aside for the computer by this summer, so I know that complicates things somewhat. However, since I'm in no hurry, I already expect to be scouring the web for the best deals I can get, so I am hopeful to get some quality stuff for my price range.

A friend had given me a nice monitor he wasn't using, and now with my dad giving me his old comp, which is a piece of junk, but at the very least has a case I can use. I started doing research on building computers, and I cannot decide if it would be better to rebuild this one, to start from scratch, or just put my eventual $600 into a pre-built tower? What do you all think? Teach me Oh wise ones!

Ps: Ive been using a gaming mouse and keyboard with my laptop, and could just switch those to my desktop, so this really is all about the tower.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

What are you going to be using this PC for? Are you going to be reusing any components at all? $600 is a really tight budget for a decent gaming PC, but for a standard home PC, it's doable.

3939.png

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

What are the specifications of the system? There is varies model of the XPS 410.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 mastahunta

mastahunta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I have a Dell XPS 410 DXP061 that came with:

Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz, 1795 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors
Ram: 2GB
HD: 250GB
Disk Drives: ST3250820AS ATA Device
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
DVD Burner: HL-DT-ST DVD+_RW GSA-H31N ATA Device

Obviously I NEED a new processor and some more RAM. I don't do super-high framerate FPS's, but I don't want to dumb everything down, so do I need another graphics card?
I don't download movies/music illegally, and this will mainly be for gaming/browsing, so 250gb hard-drive will be fine for now (I will eventually upgrade to a 60gb SSD for my OS and maybe one dedicated game, but this doesn't have to be now).

I assume I could reuse my MOBO, psu & fan, but, again, I have no experience, so what do you guys think?

Oh and the case is huge, which I'm more than fine with. Hopefully it will make me tinkering inside of it a little easier.

That all said... is it worth it buy a processor, ram, a ssd, maybe a gpu for this old thing? Or should I start from scratch? Or should I just shut up about it until I have some more money to work with?

Thanks always,
Hunta

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

The best CPU you can upgrade to is a Core 2 Quad Q6600 which you can find from Ebay but the CPU is getting old and it will slowly to start bottlenecking new generation of graphics card. If you wanted to upgrade your graphics card, you would also need to upgrade your power supply although with this, you can transfer that power supply to a new system and the graphics card can also be transferred too. You could upgrade to 4GB of ram but you can not transfer to the new system.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Given the age of your system, you would need to use fairly old parts just to get a boost in performance. I would reuse the optical drive and nothing else, except maybe the hard drive. You will need to upgrade to a newer system soon anyway.

3939.png

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

HI
And since it is a Dell case to use normal motherboards you will need a new case also. Dell uses different connectors and motherboard shapes.
Use it as it is and don't throw money into it. For non gaming it is a decent computer.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 mastahunta

mastahunta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

So to make sure I understand: its not worth it to throw money into building it up, and there isn't really much I can reuse from this old rig (except maybe the optics drive & hdd).

So use it as is until I can actually afford a new tower or can build something from scratch instead?

Thanks again all for all of your help! Not quite what I was hoping for, but what I secretely suspected...
:)

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yep although i mentioned that you could purchase the power supply and graphics card first and use in this current system and then later transfer it over to the new system.

>Michael 

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yes, it's unfortunate there really isn't a cost effective solution to upgrading your computer. But, when you are ready to build your new PC, we will be here to help!

3939.png

#11 mattheather31

mattheather31

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hi all,

My dad just gave me a hand-me-down Dell XPS 410 Desktop computer, when he purchased another machine. I've always considered building myself a rig, and I cannot discern if now is the time... and that is where you all come in!

My only other comp is a Sony laptop, which I've used for a couple of years now to play Starcraft II and League of Legends, but I would like to eventually upgrade to a desktop. So the computer would be used for gaming and browsing primarily.

Having just graduated college, with massive loans to pay off and difficulty finding a worthwhile job, my funds are definitely limited. I'm HOPING to be able to get about $600 set aside for the computer by this summer, so I know that complicates things somewhat. However, since I'm in no hurry, I already expect to be scouring the web for the best deals I can get, so I am hopeful to get some quality stuff for my price range.

A friend had given me a nice monitor he wasn't using, and now with my dad giving me his old comp, which is a piece of junk, but at the very least has a case I can use. I started doing research on building computers, and I cannot decide if it would be better to rebuild this one, to start from scratch, or just put my eventual $600 into a pre-built tower? What do you all think? Teach me Oh wise ones!

Ps: Ive been using a gaming mouse and keyboard with my laptop, and could just switch those to my desktop, so this really is all about the tower.

Hello I have a Dell XPS 410 myself and read post about how you can't do this and you can't do this. Well there not all true and some are true facts. Will this being an older computer this still can run pretty awesome with some upgrades. I've personally put 4 gb of memory in my computer, I'm currently running a ati 5870 with a xfx black edition 850 watt power supply that fits perfectly in the computer. I had a 8800 GTS in there and it ran awesome. Depending on the mother board you have if its a P965 you can put a  qx6800 quad core in there. I'm in the workers to get the qx6800 quad core which this would be the largest cpu you can get for the P965 dell xps 410 motherboard. Also i'm going to be running the windows 7 ulitmate 64 bit system with 8 gb memory. You can also do some fan mods to help with cooling which is really easy to do. The xps 410 is such a sleepier that has lots of opitions. Hopefully this info. is helpful. Any questions please let me know and I will help you the best I can.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

If the OP wished to reuse the case and some other hardware, that is certainly possible.  But the point the posts were making was that there was little point in upgrading old technology to slightly less old technology when you could get potentially better results with current generation hardware for a little more money.  In the end, starting over from scratch, while potentially salvaging a few parts, would probably be more cost effective over time.  Both responses are correct, you can upgrade this PC, all the way to the motherboard's EOL high-end parts, or, you can scrap most of it and get newer parts that have not yet reached EOL and still potentially have an upgrade path over several years.

3939.png

#13 mirskymj

mirskymj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

This may be a very late reply but for what it's worth, I hope it helps. The reason I have held on to the XPS, is the investment in software that has been made on this machine. The size of the case was also important to me because it fits the space within my desk. My CPU is 2.66 GHz running Windows 7 Ultimate.

The greatest improvement to performance has been installing a 512 GB SSD drive. This drive was made the C drive and used for booting and all programs. The power supply was increased to 650 watts. A 4 USB 2.0 card and the memory maxed out to 4 GB were added. 

So far so good and will probably last a few more years.

Cheers

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

This may be a very late reply but for what it's worth, I hope it helps. The reason I have held on to the XPS, is the investment in software that has been made on this machine. The size of the case was also important to me because it fits the space within my desk. My CPU is 2.66 GHz running Windows 7 Ultimate.

The greatest improvement to performance has been installing a 512 GB SSD drive. This drive was made the C drive and used for booting and all programs. The power supply was increased to 650 watts. A 4 USB 2.0 card and the memory maxed out to 4 GB were added. 

So far so good and will probably last a few more years.

Cheers

Are you the OP under a different screen name?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users