Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Device Driver stopped working Windows Action Log

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dragunfli

Dragunfli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I just bought a HP DV6-1264CA (click to view full specs) so it's just received a full reformat and a fresh copy of Windows 7 was installed. I've been having bizarre problems with it. When I first got it, I would run the Windows Experience Index and it would shut off partway through. When I powered the laptop back on, it would act like I hibernated it - it would go straight to my desktop and resume the Index test and finished with a rating. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 8, so I tried to boot from a usb key. When I do this, the computer just shows a blank screen with a grey cursor blinking (sort of DOS-like but can't write commands or anything like that) and if I press enter, it starts up Windows 7. The file on my USB key is an ISO downloaded straight from the MSDNAA website. I tried using a genuine windows 8 dvd that my friend had and it got further - it showed 4 purple squares in the shape of a box and then froze. I thought the CPU might be running to hot so I got the fan cleaned out (there was a LOT of dust) and put some thermal compound on the heatsyncs. It's now running about 5 degrees C cooler but still doing relatively the same thing. Sometimes it will show a blue screen when it shuts off or starts up from the Index test but I've seen 2 different screens. One of them asked if I had my driver installed, so I double checked my drivers and they're all up to date. The other one seems very generic. It says:

STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000000001 0x001003f0).
The system has been shut down.

But then I found a message in the Windows Action Center the next day saying that my Video Driver Device stopped working once yesterday. My driver appears to be up to date. I can't seem to find anything indicating otherwise. I'm worried that the graphics card is dying but I'd like to take all avenues I can before coming to that conclusion.
I turned down the performance settings and turned the resolution down a notch. Now the windows index will *finally* finish without resetting the computer but it shows an error about halfway through saying something like 'cannot complete because of video' (I can probably recreate the error message if need be). Windows 8 will still not boot from my USB key. Any help would be appreciated!!

Edited by Dragunfli, 13 January 2013 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users