Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Up Windows Vista Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlartch

jlartch

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hey There BleepingComputer Community,

I have 2 laptops - a Gateway MA7 running Windows Vista Home Premium and a Sony Vaio VGN-NS240E running Windows 8 Pro (which was upgraded from Windows 7). My Gateway laptop all of a sudden stopped booting up, so I went out and bought a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter to connect the Gateway hard drive as a slave drivonto my Sony Vaio laptop so I could get all my data files off the drive. I was able to do this successfully. I'm still having problems with the Gateway hard drive, however.

In order to see if the Gateway hard drive was bad or if it was something else with the Gateway laptop, I changed the boot order of my Sony Vaio laptop to first boot from an external device (i.e. the Gateway hard drive connected as a slave). I restarted my computer and it booted (well attempted)to boot from the Gateway hard drive, but after the Vista splash screen showed up, the computer restarted (this is the exact same thing that happened when the Gateway hard drive was in the Gateway laptop). After restart, I received the option to either 1) Start Windows Recovery Counsel (recommended) (I don't know if those were the exact words, but I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about) or 2) Start Windows Normally. I chose to start the recovery counsel. When I chose this option, I received the BSOD with STOP: 0x0000007B code. So I did a hard shut down on my laptop and attempted to reboot to the Gateway hard drive again. The exact same thing mentioned above happened - it came to the Windows splash screen, restarted and then gave me the 2 options mentioned above. The second time I chose to start windows normally, but this caused my screen to go black with a white cursor blinking in the top left corner of my screen. So after this, I changed the boot order of my Sony laptop back to normal and ran Malwarebytes' Antimalware of the slave drive and also chkdsk - all came up clean. So, here's what I need guidance with:

1) Is there any steps I'm doing wrong to diagnose this hard drive? Or are there additional steps I should be taking to diagnose the hard drive?
2) Is my Gateway hard drive shot? If so, how do I know? I don't want to go out and buy another hard drive if I don't have to (yes, I know they're cheap)
3) The BSOD scares me. I never received this when the Gateway hard drive was in the Gateway laptop (at least I don't recall). So this makes me wonder if the BSOD is causing my Sony laptop to BSOD rather than the Gateway hard drive (does this make sense)?
4) Based on my preliminary research on the BSOD STOP code I received, this could be caused by a number of things, but I know I didn't do any recent changes to my Gateway laptop
5) If my hard drive isn't bad, but the best option is to reformat the Gateway hard drive, how do I go about installing a new OS on a slave drive? Is this even possible?

I'd appreciate any help and/or advice.

Regards,

jlartch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Each motherboard chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change the motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

If you have the installation disc you might be able to correct this by making a repair installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

jlartch,

The BSOD scares me. I never received this when the Gateway hard drive was in the Gateway laptop (at least I don't recall).

Don't worry about the BSOD. I wouldn't expect anything else. As dc3 explained, you can't successfully boot Windows using your Gateway hard drive in a computer with a Vaio motherboard.

1) Is there any steps I'm doing wrong to diagnose this hard drive? Or are there additional steps I should be taking to diagnose the hard drive?
2) Is my Gateway hard drive shot? If so, how do I know? I don't want to go out and buy another hard drive if I don't have to (yes, I know they're cheap)

Suggestion: While the Gateway hard drive is connected to your Vaio laptop, backup any important files (docs, pics, video, etc.) you wouldn't want to loose.

Yes, there are ways to test the hard drive.

You said that the the Gateway laptop would not boot. Could you be more specific. Does it power on -> go throught POST (Bios screens) -> make it to starting Windows logo, etc. How far does the boot process get and what happens to stop it?

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users