Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recent java vulnerability - i have trouble with my java

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I am a newbie in cybersecurity and this past Friday it was announced online that Java seems to contain some vulnerability that could be exploited for cyberinvasion. I tried to follow the instruction on pcmag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414191,00.asp)
but found that my Java control panel looks "different" from what was described. I am a little freaked out and so coming here for help.

My laptop specs:
Win 7(version 6.1) 64-bit OS

When I clicked into the Java control panel (ps. mine says Java (32-bit), don't know if this matters), I found the same panel as what pcmag described.
However, when I clicked into the security tab, instead of having a page where it displays "enable Java content in the browser" with security level bar (see pcmag article), in my security tab, I only got the following on my tab:

Certicates
Use certificates to positively identify yourself, certifications, authorities, and publishers.

And a click button "certicates".

I usually log in my computer using non-admin, so I thought this might be why the Java panel looks different. But even after I log in using admin, I saw exactly the same under admin Java secruity tab.

Questions-
1. why do I get a different "security tab"?
2. is my laptop ALREADY infected?
if yes, what should I do? (I have MS security essentials installed, and updated daily. Scanning with the security essentials found no threats)
if no, is there a way I could "restore" my Java to the "original" page and "disable" it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Morning seraphin - no worries, I don't suspect.

From the Java panel, check for an update - I don't believe you've got the latest version and once you do get the latest update, when you select the Security Tab the new option (to disable) will be there.

HEADS UP - when you download the latest version, be sure to un-check what ever comes bundled with it (it might be the ASK toolbar or perhaps Chrome, I can't remember).

Let me know if that works, ok?

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thanks a lot. I read it somewhere that I should wait until Oracle offers a fix to update my Java. But I will remember to uncheck all bundled stuff. Thanks again.

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

You're welcome.

As for waiting until Oracle offers up a fix...well, uh, I'm not sure I'd wait >that< long. :whistle:

There's more information here if it helps.

enjoy the day,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users