Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Hardware Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aust

Aust

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

I have an eMachines T2596. Yesterday morning when I turned the monitor on the system was frozen at the desktop. It had worked fine the night before this. When I went to reboot it, it wouldn't boot up at all and was making alot of noise. I opened it up, saw alot of dust in the chip fan, cleaned it out along with alot of other things and loaded it back up. It booted up this time, but it was running quite a bit slower than normal and the sound wasn't working at all. After a short amount of time it froze again and when I tried to reboot it again the light on the front just blinked, holding down the power button had no effect. Pulling out the power cord stopped it of course but as soon as it is plugged back in the blinking starts up again.

I opened up the machine to observe what was happening inside of it when this happened. The simple answer to that is nothing. The chip fan wasn't spinning while the blinking was going on. After minute or two the blinking stopped and I was able to turn the computer on and boot it up again. Chip fan was spinning this time but again the system was running slowly and froze up after a short amount of time. I am unsure of even where to start with this since the two different things that it does points me in different directions. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

Is the power supply fan running? Although it could be something else, this sounds a lot like a failing power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users