Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode win 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BaddJone

BaddJone

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

I wonder if there is no easy way to boot into safe mode in Windows 8. What's the secret?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hi

If you can get into normal Windows 8, this should help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-windows-8-in-safe-mode/

If you can't get into normal Windows and are not being given the TROUBLESHOOT option, let us know.

James

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Before you have a problem that won't let you boot, can't you just right click on my computer, choose properties and then select Advanced system settings, go to the Advanced tab and select settings under Startup and Recovery and select the option to display recovery options when needed for certain amount of time and have it work to bring up the safe mode option and such?

If that will work, like it did in previous Windows versions, it seems like something everyone should do as soon as they get their computer. Seems like it should work since the option is still there.

Edited by Stang777, 05 March 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#4 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

The instructions on that link are definitely not an "easy" way to boot into safe mode. The second post by Stang777 was more intriguing but I had a hard time understanding it completely. I was able to find the exact screen it refers to but failed to undestand how to make it work so I could have options to boot into safe mode. Is it possible for you to make it a bit clearer or more precise? This is just another thing about Win 8 that I'm trying to learn to do.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

I am not sure if it works (I am very new to Windows 8) and I am not sure what part you need help with. I know you said you found the screen I was referring to, but just in case, the screen that comes up when you click on the Advanced tab, you click on the bottom settings button and in screen that comes up then, the second checkbox was unchecked on my system, which lead me to believe that it doesn't dispay startup recovery options like safe mode when the computer won't load normally. I checked the  box and extended the display time like I use to have it in XP in hopes that it would make it display the safe mode options and such upon unsuccessful booting.

I tried to attach a screeenshot of it but it didn't work :(

Edited by Stang777, 05 March 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#6 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

OK, I see what you mean now. That other link said that if Indows 8 doesn't open succesfully it will take you to the advanced option screen automatically so maybe this is unnecessary.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users